recessed lights falling out

Old 01-17-01, 07:55 AM
Visiting Guest
I have quite a few recessed lights in my home. Several of the canisters are literally falling out of the ceiling. The home is old and the ceilings are plaster. The fixtures work fine but just don't seem to be mounted well. Just pushing them back up doesn't work. I assume that there is mounting hardware of some inside the hole? How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Dana

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-01, 05:38 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
There are many recessed fixtures on the market. It depends on what you call old.

If these tanks are the type that have a bracket inside the ceiling then you might take the lens off of the fixture, look for three or four screws going through the inside of the tank holding the tank to the bracket hidden inside the ceiling. Try adjusting the tank back up above the surface of hte drywall and tightening those screws.

Hope this fit you tanks mounting style.

Wg

Old 01-17-01, 05:41 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Another thought.

If your tank is the cheap tanks with not brackets then you might try going to an electrical supply house asking for madison hangers usually used to mount receptacle boxes to existing wall in a remodle style receptacle installation.

Use these madison hangers by slipping the hanger by the edge of the tank and hooking them inside the wall surface. Then use the tabs sticking down to bend over hooking the bottom of the tank. This should hold the tanks if the first reply doesn't work

Good Luck

Wg