Trying to add an outlet to an existing circuit

Old 04-14-12, 04:46 PM
Trying to add an outlet to an existing circuit

i am putting a tv in an old closet so there is no outlet on that wall. I decided to add one. I have wired a new outlet in series with an existing outlet circuit in the room. I have 120VAC on the outlet but when I begin to plug stuff in the power strip will start cycling power. I have tried different power strips and they all do the same thing. I then plugged the power strip into an outlet on the same circuit after my new outlet and everything works fine when I plug them in.

What did I do wrong to this new outlet? If it is in series and stuff down stream from it works then I do not see why this outlet does not. I have tried two different brand new outlets and they are both do the same thing.

I am using a plastic gang box but I do not see why that would be an issue. I have the grounds landed on the ground screw on the new outlet.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-12, 05:08 PM
What did I do wrong to this new outlet?
I don't know, but have you tested it with a receptacle tester to see if it is wired correctly?

More information might help:

I have wired a new outlet in series with an existing outlet circuit in the room.
Can you explain what you mean by "in series?" Receptacles aren't wired in series, they're wired in parallel.

I then plugged the power strip into an outlet on the same circuit after my new outlet and everything works fine when I plug them in.

and stuff down stream from it works
You ran cable from an existing receptecle to your new receptacle, and then from your new receptacle to a different existing receptacle? That's how you wound up with receptacles both upstream and downstream from the new one?

Old 04-14-12, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
I have wired a new outlet in series with an existing outlet circuit in the room.
Receptacles are wire parallel not series.

I have 120VAC on the outlet but when I begin to plug stuff in the power strip will start cycling power.
What does "cycling power" mean?

I have the grounds landed on the ground screw on the new outlet.
Good but grounds have nothing to do with the basic function of the receptacle.

Old 04-15-12, 08:01 AM
Series was the wrong word to use. I basically put an outlet between two other existing outlets. I ran a 2 wire Romex from each existing outlet and landed them both on the new outlet.

I think I may have figured out my problem. The house is not wired like I thought it was. I am going to have to find another place to tap into the circuit.

Thank you all for your responses.

Old 04-15-12, 11:07 AM
If everything else is working now, won't simply removing one of the two wires you ran correct the problem?