3-way Occupancy Sensor Wiring

Old 04-16-12, 07:06 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 3-way Occupancy Sensor Wiring

Hi, I have a question regarding wiring multiple occupancy sensors to control one set of lights in our home. Right now we have several switches controlling the lights in a hallway that I'd like to replace with occupancy sensors so they turn on and off automatically as people walk through the hallway. However, as far as I know, occupancy sensors are always single pole.

Basically, I feel like I'm getting too creative with the wiring and wanted to get some opinions if what I'm doing is correct. My idea was for all switches to use the same hot line and switch to the same traveler line. This way if any of the occupancy sensors sense something the lights turn on, and turn back off only after all of them have shut off.

Does this make sense? Will I break any electrical codes by doing this? Will there be any problems with there being AC at the load side of an open/closed switch? Is there a certain kind of occupancy sensor designed to do this?

Also, I don't have a particular occupancy sensor in mind. Can anyone recommend one for this purpose? I'd want it to work with instant-on CFL bulbs, automatically turn on and off, automatically turn off after a short amount of time (~30 seconds), and have a manual override (ideally that has some easy way of identifying when active, like a physical switch or LED).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-12, 10:56 AM
A
Received 81 Votes on 75 Posts
Yes you can do it that way. Eliminate the 3 way capability and put in all new occupancy sensors so that if any sensor senses something then all the lights go on.

Note that some sensors will not work with some brands of fluorescent lights (or some brands of compact fluorescent lights). I don't know which.

Do it as your diagram says. You already have 3 wires (plus ground) going between the switches. These are redesignated neutral, raw (line) hot and switched (load) hot.

No problem with power at the load side of a switch. Two (or more) switches controlling the same light where any switch on means light on is not unusual.