outdoor box wiring question

Old 04-17-12, 10:07 AM
outdoor box wiring question

I have mounted an outdoor box for a motion sensor light and drilled a hole for a conduit nipple which pokes through the wall to the attic inside. Can I put romex (14-2) through the nipple and continue it through the attic to the nearest electrical box or do I need to use conduit? The romex will be undisturbed.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-12, 10:31 AM
If you use a bushing to protect the 14-2 from being damaged by the end of the conduit, that should work. But if you just
continue it through the attic to the nearest electrical box
how will you disconnect the light for service? By turning off the breaker?

Old 04-17-12, 10:35 AM
I'm running the romex to a switch then to the electrical source. I forgot to add that I will be using a bushing. I ask the question because I was wondering if the NM had to be secured going into the box somehow in which case I could use a standard NM connector screwed into the nipple (with adapter).

Old 04-17-12, 11:18 AM
I'm running the romex to a switch then to the electrical source.
That'll work.

I forgot to add that I will be using a bushing.
OK, that's all good then.

I ask the question because I was wondering if the NM had to be secured going into the box somehow
Good question. I don't think so, so long as it's well secured within 8" (I think) of entering the sleeve. Some of the code Gurus here may have a different answer. But I don't know how you could do that anyway.

One of my favorite ways of securing sleeved wiring is to make a transition coupling. That's a threaded coupling with a conduit connector in one end and a Type NM connector in the other. That's mounted on the end of the conduit where the cable enters and clamped down after enough cable has been fed in. Just sayin'.

in which case I could use a standard NM connector screwed into the nipple (with adapter).
I can't see that. If you're using
an outdoor box,
doesn't it have threaded KOs? Or are you talking about the transition coupling I described above?

Last edited by Nashkat1; 04-17-12 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can just screw the NM connector into the back of the box.

Old 04-17-12, 07:12 PM
One of my favorite ways of securing sleeved wiring is to make a transition coupling. That's a threaded coupling with a conduit connector in one end and a Type NM connector in the other. That's mounted on the end of the conduit where the cable enters and clamped down after enough cable has been fed in.
Whether or not that would be allowed is up to the AHJ. In my area, it isn't allowed as the galvanized rigid coupling you are using is only U.L. Listed to join lengths of rigid threaded conduit and not for making adapters.

Old 04-17-12, 08:07 PM
In my area, it isn't allowed as the galvanized rigid coupling you are using is only U.L. Listed to join lengths of rigid threaded conduit and not for making adapters.
Picky, picky! OK, so you have to pay the supply house three times as much to buy a ready-made adapter than it would cost you for the parts to make one? Oh, well, the OP only needs one of them.

Old 04-17-12, 10:27 PM
I'm the O.P. Thanks for your help! To clarify:

The outdoor box has a threaded hole which will sit flush on top of the exterior wall. To get the wires from the outside to the inside I'm using a threaded 1/2 x 3.5 inch nipple. In the past I've used galvanized pipe, this time I'm using a conduit nipple found in the electrical section.

The nipple (with bushing) sticks out perhaps an inch after it goes through the wall. The NM wire (14-2) will simply be pushed through the nipple and into the outdoor box and be striped appropriately once completely inside the box. The NM will be stapled to the wall and run in a part of the attic where it will not be disturbed.

I though of running EMT conduit but this seems to be overdoing it for such a simple operation.

Old 04-18-12, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The end of the nipple will need a bushing. Or like I said above, you could just screw a connector into the back of the box.

Old 04-18-12, 08:33 AM
I appreciate that you are attempting to clarify your project, but I'm feeling confused!

When you say
The outdoor box has a threaded hole which will sit flush on top of the exterior wall.
are you saying that the box will be on top of a parapet? Or tight up under a soffit? Or where?

Your 3.5" threaded nipple sounds like a good simple solution for this application. I would put silicone sealant on the threads before screwing it into the box, and also run a bead of silicone around the edge of that face of the box that will sit against the house. Minimizing the drilled hole by putting the bushing on after you mount the box, and filling the gap around the nipple are ideas I would also consider.

Old 04-18-12, 08:55 AM
Thanks! Your ideas sound good and I have the silicon all ready to go.