Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can dedicated CirBrker for a GFI in bathrm1, also feed GFI's in Bathrms 2&3 ?

Old 04-21-12, 05:38 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I live in New Jersey.

I have a Circuit breaker that has a electrical cable feed to the 3rd flr bathroom. This Circuit breaker/cable is dedicated, it only feeds that one GFI.

Question: Can that same cable be split out so that it also feeds the GFI in Bathroom 2 and the GFI on Bathroom 3? (the Circuit Breaker would only feed the three GFI's)

Question: One would add a square box at the appropriate place and split out the cable and run two new cables from it to the new GFI's right?

Thank you...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-12, 06:23 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have a Circuit breaker that has a electrical cable feed to the 3rd flr bathroom. This Circuit breaker/cable is dedicated, it only feeds that one GFI.

Question: Can that same cable be split out so that it also feeds the GFI in Bathroom 2 and the GFI on Bathroom 3? (the Circuit Breaker would only feed the three GFI's)
Sure, but why do you want to do that? Is there not already a receptacle in each of those bathrooms, or are they not GFCI protected now.

One would add a square box at the appropriate place and split out the cable and run two new cables from it to the new GFI's right?
I would just feed from the receptacle box in the 3rd floor bathroom.

Old 04-21-12, 06:33 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If I recall correctly you can't if the lights are on the same circuit as the GFCI.

Old 04-21-12, 07:07 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thx for responding Nashkat1 & Ray2047,

The other two bathrooms needing the upgrade do not have GFI outlets, they each have regular old style outlets, each sharing the same power as the lights in the respective bathrooms.

Due to the walls and wiring in this old house, it would be easier to put a square box in the basement and split it out and pull up two of the split offs with the vertical pull wire installed when the 3rd flr GFI was installed.

Old 04-21-12, 08:08 PM
Why not just replace the existing receptacles with GFCI receptacles?

Old 04-21-12, 08:52 PM
I'm just wondering if you could use that vertical pull wire to get a new cable to the 3rd floor GFCI and then run that to feed the other two locations. That way you could keep standard receptacles in those bathrooms, which would give you room in those boxes to cap or splice existing wires behind the receptacle.

There's little or no room to do that behind a GFCI.

Old 04-22-12, 06:24 AM
which would give you room in those boxes to cap or splice existing wires
You could always put in a deeper box but why would you need to cap off or splice any wires if you just switched to a GFCI receptacle?

Old 04-22-12, 05:40 PM
why would you need to cap off or splice any wires if you just switched to a GFCI receptacle?
Maybe I've been reading this thread too literally, or without a full understanding. Given that the OP's original question was
Can that same cable be split out so that it also feeds the GFI in Bathroom 2 and the GFI on Bathroom 3?
and that you later said
If I recall correctly you can't if the lights are on the same circuit as the GFCI,
I figured that we were talking only about feeding the new GFCI receptacles with the circuit now feeding just the one on the 3rd floor. Hence a need to cap off or splice an existing circuit behind the new device.

If, in fact, one can simply replace the existing two standard receptacles with GFCI receptacles, and feed the existing circuit through on the line terminals, if necessary, then there is no need for capping or splicing.