Need portable small power supply for diesel glow plugs

Old 04-22-12, 05:40 PM
Need portable small power supply for diesel glow plugs

Hello,
I am working on a project that requires powering a diesel engine glow plug from a relatively portable power source. The diesel glow plugs come in a variety of voltages, most common are 6v, 12v, and 24v. From what I understand, the most commonly found ones are 12v and draw around 10 amps. I have tried a number of configurations with varying success and at this point I am pretty frustrated with the trial and error method and so I am here to ask for help. I have been successful using a small 12v lawnmower battery(capacity unknown) with the 12v glow plugs, but it is WAY too big and heavy for my intended use. When I tried hooking up the same 12v glow plug to a series of 8 x D cell batteries, I was able to achieve a glow, but it seemed to be nowhere near its full heat potential. I am going right now to buy a 6v glow plug in the hopes that by using the lower voltage, I will be able to supply enough current with the 8 x D batteries. The power sources I have already purchased that may work include:

1. 1 X 12v Lead Acid Lawnmower battery (way too large) Super Start U1L - Lawn And Garden Battery | O'Reilly Auto Parts

2. 8 X D cell alkaline batteries and various holders for different configurations

3. 1 X 6v 4500mah Lead Acid Alarm System Battery

4. 1 X 7.2V 2000mah NiCad Battery

Obviously I am lost and have no idea what I am doing, so any kind of help would be much appreciated. The priorities are as follows:

1. HOT - it must reach full heating potential which is a glowing orange almost white hot.

2. Speed - it must reach that temperature in a relatively short time window, less than 20 seconds, by design these plugs are supposed to be fully hot at 5-10 seconds.

3. Size - I really need this to be portable, if it takes a car battery to do it, then its not going to work. I would like to keep the power source smaller in volume than a 12oz can of soda. If it could fit in a large pocket, that would be even better.

4. Capacity - It will need to be able to bring the glow plugs to full heat and maintain that heat for approx 10-15 seconds at a time. I am hoping to be able to complete at least 30-50 of these heating cycles before the power source is depleted.

5. Rechargeability - Preferably, it will use a power source that is rechargeable, however if the cost is too much or it will substantially increase the bulk to use a rechargeable power source, using disposable alkalines or nimh is a possibility, theoretically even a disposable 6v lantern battery could work.

I really appreciate any and all input that you guys can give me!

Thanks Alot,
-Alex

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-12, 07:49 PM
I would like to keep the power source smaller in volume than a 12oz can of soda.
Capacity - It will need to be able to bring the glow plugs to full heat and maintain that heat for approx 10-15 seconds at a time. I am hoping to be able to complete at least 30-50 of these heating cycles before the power source is depleted.
Might as well give up now. Those requirements will never be met.

Old 04-22-12, 09:21 PM
Thanks. Would you mind elaborating a little bit? Most of the things I mentioned were not "requirements" exactly, they were priorities, preferences. If I am way out of line with reality, could you tell me in which way because I certainly don't intend to "Just give up" as you suggest I should.
-Alex

Old 04-23-12, 02:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Glow plugs pull an inordinate amount of amperage to heat to full potential. That is why most diesel engines only have one glow plug and two batteries. We don't know what your "project" is, so I am reluctant to give advice as to how you can reach such high temperatures with a pocket held power pack. Step out of the box and see where we are looking. Who knows what you are planning with this device.

Old 04-23-12, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Check into R/C glow plugs. I think they will fit your criteria better.

TowerHobbies.com | Search Results

Old 04-23-12, 07:14 PM
Until you give more specifics as to your project I can't make any recommendations. "Lawn mower" batteries are usually in the 10 to 12 ampere-hour range and even this much capacity would be sorely abused by using a 10 ampere (per glow plug) load.

Old 04-24-12, 03:28 PM
Ok well,
thanks guys, I don't really understand your concern about what I am building being something mischievous, the only reason I am being at all mysterious about what I am trying to build is because I am not sure how to protect the idea yet and I don't want someone stealing my idea and running with it. Anyway, for anyone who was curious, a pair of 7.2v nicad battery packs run in series powering a 12v glow plug works great, heats up super fast, and provides enough power for atleast 40 30 second on cycles, which is more than enough for what I needed, and all of this without anything getting hot, except the heating element on the glow plug. But thanks again furd for your encouragement, in your words "Might as well give up now. Those requirements will never be met." And, I met those requirements, knowing NOTHING about electricity, within hours of posting that. I think someone is a bit bitter about something, luckily I don't care enough to find out what. Have a great day shutting down newbies with short useless answers. To everyone else,
THANK YOU!

Old 04-24-12, 03:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'll have to step outside your matchbox for a moment, if you will. We don't know if you are planning to excite IED's with your little project or cut and seal nylon rope, so please give us the latitude of our experience to question your motives. We know what we are doing, you didn't, thus your questions. With good information regarding your end use (and believe me we couldn't care less if you patent your project) we could probably have come up with better answers. We err on the side of caution, so understand.