Issue installing light

Old 04-23-12, 12:08 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Issue installing light

Before I begin, I do have some electrical experience, but not a ton, I just want to double check that I am not doing something wrong when replacing a light fixture. I think I bought a defective light as after a couple minutes the light began to smell like plastic burning. I disconnected it and found that the bulb had melted the foil sticker that is on the aluminum foil sheet attached to the insulation on the light. I used a 40w bulb, the max for the light was 60w

This is how the old light was connected, never had any issues with it, 3 wires were entering the box.

All 3 black wires entering the box were merretted together.
One red wire entering the box was connected to the black wire from the light
All white wires entering the box were merretted together along with the white from the light.
All 3 grounds were merretted together along with ground from light.

I disconnected the old light, installed the new one attaching the black from the light to the existing red wire, attached the white from the light to all 3 existing whites, and merretted the ground with the other grounds. I left the 3 black wires that were merretted together alone.

Safe to say I returned the "defective" light and bought a new one. Can anyone advise if I was screwing something up.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-12, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I disconnected the old light, installed the new one attaching the black from the light to the existing red wire, attached the white from the light to all 3 existing whites, and merretted the ground with the other grounds. I left the 3 black wires that were merretted together alone...

I used a 40w bulb, the max for the light was 60w

Can anyone advise if I was screwing something up.
You connected the new light exactly the way the old one was connected and you used a bulb that's significantly smaller than the max allowable - doesn't sound like anything you did.