Triple Pole

Old 04-23-12, 08:56 PM
Triple Pole

The inspector says that the indoor portion of the mini-split heating and air con unit has to have a switch to be able to turn the unit off and that it has to be a 3 pole switch. It has 208-230 volts.

So I bought a switch with 9 projections. I assume the out side is where the white, red and black wires go with the ground going in the middle.

I have three questions: Do the wires get soldered to these square projectiles with a small hole in the middle or how do they get fastened? What protects them one from another? And there are three middle projections which I wonder: Are they for the two ground wires.

Is there a U-tube picture of how to do this?

Sierra

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-12, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
The inspector says that the indoor portion of the mini-split heating and air con unit has to have a switch to be able to turn the unit off and that it has to be a 3 pole switch.
Is this 3 phase power?

I assume the out side is where the white, red and black wires go with the ground going in the middle.
Assuming white is neutral, neutral and ground are never switched. They should not be connected to a switch. Oh wait are you talking about the 24 volt control voltage?

So I bought a switch with 9 projections.
A on/off 3pole switch would have 6 terminals.

Your post is very confusing. Can you try again with more details?

Old 04-24-12, 05:18 AM
Question

Adding to Ray's questions, is this a residential or commercial application?

Old 04-24-12, 07:48 AM
What is the make and model of your switch? Can you post a picture of it? (See How To Include Pictures) How many wires are coming from the panel to this switch, and what color are they?

Old 04-25-12, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like you have a solder-lug switch, similar to what you might buy at Radio Shack. You need something more like this:

60 Amp 2 Pole AC Disconnect, Molded Case Switch Type NEMA 3R-DPB222RP at The Home Depot

This one is only a 2-pole disconnect, but they have similar 3-pole devices.

If it's running 240v, you only need a 2-pole disconnect (Hot/Hot). If you're actually running 208/3-phase, you do need a 3-pole disconnect... but you're probably in a place that you shouldn't be doing the wiring yourself. The neutral and ground never get switched.