Chargers, batteries, amps

Old 04-25-12, 03:46 AM
Chargers, batteries, amps

What would happen if a 12V trickle charger is connected directly to a car amplifier, missing out the battery? The amp would normally take power from a 12V car/motorcycle battery but i'm assuming it's more complicated than just hooking up something from AC that outputs DC directly. Any thoughts?
Essentially, is this a bad idea and is something going to blow up?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-12, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
Well...depends on what size of a charger for one thing. If it's big enough to supply the required load...then it might work.

More likely you'll get a bad hum. Chargers (esp smaller cheaper ones) don't put out very clean DC.

Best to by a good regulated DC power supply.

Old 04-25-12, 07:21 AM
GUnguy is correct. Chargers don't contain a capacitor or even a good regulator. This likely will cause hum, and COULD cause an overvoltage situation. Don't do it, either include a SLA battery, or better yet, get a "real" 12v regulated power supply with at least a 50% margin in capacity to deal with peak current demands from the amp. Amps obviously are not a constant load.

Old 04-25-12, 07:21 AM
Curiosity got the better of me. It actually put out a reasonable sound, however I don't whether using this system for longer periods of time could damage it. I'll put a proper set up together.
Thanks for the replies.