Outlet troubles

Old 04-29-12, 09:03 PM
Outlet troubles

I have replaced all the outlets in my sister in laws house. Let me start off by saying this house is verrryyy old. Alot of the wire from outlet to outlet is cloth some is grounded some is not. Some has bx some does not . This last outlet ( it's always the last one ) after I replaced it popped breaker. I pulled it out and saw that the such old wire was arcing right at the bx. Do you guys think the best way is to cut back the bx put a small junction box in the wall and extend it with fresh Romex.. Or completely pull that bx out through attic and replace with Romex . What are your ideas?

This house is very difficult to snake wire . Built on a slab so no basement. Very tiny attic.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-12, 10:05 PM
Do you guys think the best way is to cut back the bx put a small junction box in the wall and extend it with fresh Romex.
No. All splices must be in accessible, covered boxes.

Replacing the BX from the last previous device - with either BX or NM - is arguably the best solution. OR, to avoid having to fish cable down the wall twice and re-work two boxes, you could make a J-box in the attic to change from BX to NM.

Old 04-30-12, 05:26 AM
Right I no I have to make the splice in I box. Just wondering if I should pull wire. Back up into attic and put a j box up there or put one in the wall right by the outlet.

I don't trust this old cloth wire at all! Haha

Old 04-30-12, 06:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The cable should be stapled to the studs. I doubt you will be able to pull it up into the attic.

Old 04-30-12, 07:46 AM
Yea that's what I was thinking I may just be better off cutting bx back hanging a j box on stud above outlet box and splice in j box and run to new from jbox to outlet box

Old 04-30-12, 09:58 AM
I may just be better off cutting bx back hanging a j box on stud above outlet box and splice in j box and run to new from jbox to outlet box
If you're comfortable with having a visible box with a blank cover in the wall above the receptacle than that's a workable solution. There are two other possible solutions come to mind.

One is, if you can get a new cable from the attic to the receptacle box but you can't pull the old cable out, you can cut both ends of the old cable, stuff them into the wall, and splice the new cable in the attic to feed the receptacle.

The other is (and there are several "ifs" and *maybes* in this one) if you can loosen the clamp and pull enough of the cable into the box to be able to trim away 2 or 3 of the spiral loops of the sheathing, and if the arc did not damage the actual conductor - no nicks or pits - then you might be able to reinsulate the wire with good-quality electrical tape or liquid electrical tape, or some of each, install a new anti-short bushing to prevent the same thing from happening again, clamp the cable and mount the receptacle.

BX armor can be trimmed with a tool such as a Klein 1104. Both the trimming shears and the liquid tape should be available from your neighborhood big-box store.