Shallow SG device box w/ external MC clamp?

Old 04-30-12, 04:51 PM
Question Shallow SG device box w/ external MC clamp?

I need to replace a duplex receptacle above a lavatory with a GFCI. From the face of the tile to the inner face of the opposite wall covering is ~1.5" so it will accept a shallow box or a handy box. The tile and backer board are ~3/4" thick, and the power is run in BX. Right now, that BX is secured to the existing box under a built-in clamp. A GFCI will fit in a shallow box, but not with that internal clamp in there.

Any suggestions for a box I could use to change this out that has an external clamp at the back of the end?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-12, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
It this wall is open, use a 4"x4"x1 1/2" steel box and a 3/4" mud ring. Otherwise a wall case (sometimes called a device box with ears) is only 2 1/8" deep. We use them all the time to cut in receptacles in commercial jobs. Still a little tight, but better than a handy box. Just use a BX/AC/MC cable connector that uses a 1/2" KO. It clamps to the cable on the outside.

If you are going to cut it in later, put the connector on the cable so it is ready.

Old 04-30-12, 07:24 PM
Maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been at first, and I regret that.

This is a finished, tiled wall. There is a standard duplex receptacle in a SG device box. The depth from the face of the tile to the inner face of the other side of the wall is 1-1/2". I can't set a 1900 box without busting out a bunch of tile, and there's no depth for anything more than a flat mud ring.

The space available for the BX/AC/MC cable connector is maybe 3/4", and it's the back 3/4" of the total 1-1/2" depth. That's why I'm looking for an unusual solution.

Old 04-30-12, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Do you have room to slip in a metal old work box with external clamp installed?

Old 04-30-12, 07:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you have access to the other side of the wall?

Old 04-30-12, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Use a "handy" box (in quotes because they are not that handy) that has 1/2" KO on them. Use a BX/AC/MC cable connector with a locknut that uses said 1/2" holes.
Pull old box out.
Slip on connector with locknut removed.
Put in new "handy" box.
Put on locknut.
fasten box.

Old 05-01-12, 05:35 AM
Do you have room to slip in a metal old work box with external clamp installed?
Probably. The ears on the face of the wall are no problem. What's in there now is a metal OW box, I guess. It's just that's it's shallow - has to be shallow - and has that internal clamp. So if the external clamp is in the back 3/4" of the end of the OW box, sure. What do you have in mind?

Do you have access to the other side of the wall?
Can I walk in the other room and see it? Yes.

Use a "handy" box (in quotes because they are not that handy) that has 1/2" KO on them.
I'd do this in a heartbeat, if the clamp would fit in that 3/4" wall cavity that's 3/4" back from the face of the wall, and if the GFCI would fit in the "handy" box (I agree that they aren't all that handy) with the locknut and the wires and not damage the wires. I can screw it to the back of the other side of the wall with a couple of tappets, so mounting it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't have this stuff on hand - I'll be making a run maybe later today (it's for a job this weekend). I can play around with boxes and devices at the BB store. Just trying to rewire my thinking and come back to the process with more possibilities.

Old 05-01-12, 02:50 PM
Consider a "Wire-Mold" extension - box ; the back-plate of the extension-box is fastened to the outlet-box and the surface extension box, say 3/4" in depth , is fastened to the back-plate. For a GFI device you may have to "trim" the back-plate to fit the GFI device into the surface box.

Old 05-01-12, 03:27 PM
Consider a "Wire-Mold" extension - box
Thanks for the suggestion!

The existing device is set flush into the finished tile wall of a powder room in an historic property, above the lav. If I were going to consider any extension ring it would be a weatherproof one. My intention is for there to be a GFCI-protected outlet mounted flush in that same location. I may have to install the GFCI at the next stop upstream.