BASIC ELECTRICAL

Old 01-18-01, 05:28 AM
Visiting Guest
IN RELATION TO PREVIOUS MESSAGE i WASNT SPECIFIC ENOUGH TO MY PPOBLEM.
the wires coming out of the ceiling are a much smaller gauge,[14 a.w.g.].
The wires coming out of the light fixture is 10 a.w.g.
The problem isnt the wire nut.
second, there are three 50w bulbs on the fixture.
The wires coming from the source of power are a smaller gauge than the fixture.
If I make this connection I risk a fire hazard.
Is there anything on the market that I can install in this area that will be a safe connection.
Thank you,
Rick42

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-01, 07:26 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This seems to a continuation of another posting, in future please keep to the same thread, if it is orginating from the same person, same question ?

I am not sure if I am missing something here, when you say
"the wires coming out of the ceiling are a much smaller gauge,[14 a.w.g.", you mean the wires feeding power to the light fixture ?. 3 - 50 watt bulbs @ 110 or 120 v would be under 1 1/2 amps current. Unless there is something I am missing here , I find it strange that the fixture's wires are 10 a.w.g. . Unless this fixture was not bought used, and you are seeing wiring sticking out that another person had wired to the inside (and if that is the case you can always do th same thing and put new wires to the inside) 14 a.w.g is fine for a 15 amp circuit. I assume the 10 gage wire only occurs coming out of the one light fixture, at least that is the way I understand it from your message, and it seams that the wires coming out of ceiling (14 gage) is the power feeding the light fixture. Now assuming that circuit breaker is the correct one for a ciucuit using 14 a.w.g. , then where is the problem, where is the fire hazard ? It is just an matter of having the proper electrical insulator nut to connect the 2 wires together.

John Neilson am I mising something here ????, Is there something we are not being told ?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Old 01-18-01, 07:48 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rick, you're inventing a hazard where there is none, unless there is something you're not telling us. Although I've never seen a light fixture with 10 gauge wire, and I can't imagine why anyone would make one, I'm taking Rick's word for it that that is what he has. There is no problem with a light fixture with big wires. Big wires are always less of a risk than small wires.

If you had told me the wires in the box were 10 gauge and the wires in the light fixture were 14 gauge, I'd have some more concerns.

Rick, just to satisfy our curiosity, where did this fixture come from?

P.S. Do not as a new question. Please post a reply to this one.

Old 01-18-01, 09:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Ahh! Now I see! This is a 14 gauge circuit which should be run off a 15amp breaker. The fixture itself has 10 gauge wire (that is odd) only 3 50watt lamps? It will not cause a fire and is perfectly fine to wire this fixture to your 14 gauge wire--provided this fixture is not an add on to an already maxed out circuit.

Old 01-18-01, 12:29 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
That 10 ga has got us all baffled. None of us seems to have seen 10 ga coming out of a light fixture unless that fixture is as big as a room and holds bunches of bulbs.

I suspect the poster is miss gauging this wire size coming from the fixture or someone just used what he had to wire the fixture.

Very uncommon. Got my curiosity up.

WG