Drywall over decommissioned outlet

Old 05-03-12, 08:01 PM
Drywall over decommissioned outlet

We have a high outlet in our kitchen that has been decommissioned (no receptical) because we moved the range in front of it. Only about 2/3 of it sticks out above the range and a cover plate has been put over it. My question is whether I can somehow drywall over it. Of course, the box sticks out a bit into the drywall like electrical boxes are meant to. That doesn't leave me enough depth for a regular 1/2 inch drywall patch. Eventually, I want to put a backsplash over the whole area and I don't want this ridiculous switchplate cover in the middle of my backsplash since its only purpose to cover the box.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-12, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
My question is whether I can somehow drywall over it.
Only if the cable is cut off and shoved into tje wall at both ends so it can no longer be accidentally used.

Old 05-03-12, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
Only if the wires are all dead, and do not feed any other part of the kitchen, you can cover this box. IF the box still has hot wires in it then, by code, it is required to be accessible.

If it is all dead, then they do make large patches to cover the box or you can make your own. Google "California Patch"

Old 05-04-12, 03:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
After doing as the others have said about making the box unusable, I would remove the box entirely and perform a patch over the area. With the box in place, you will always have a bump, no matter what type patch is applied over it.

Old 05-04-12, 08:34 AM
The electrician we had used it as a junction box to wire an outlet below the counter behind the range. So it isn't dead - it just doesn't have a recepticle or switch. All the wires have wire caps like you would expect in a regular junction box.

So what I take from these responses is that I can't do anything but cover this with a switchplate cover since the wires inside do still carry current? Is that correct? Its not exactly the answer I was hoping for.

Old 05-04-12, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
But that's what the answer is....sorry.

The only other way would be to follow the line back to some other point where it won't be visible, but would still be accessible. Basement, attic...maybe inside a cabinet. Cut the line and install a new box there, then run a new line to the lower outlet.

Old 05-04-12, 08:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You might be able to locate it lower on the wall behind the stove, but it cannot be covered over with drywall.

Old 05-04-12, 09:02 AM
Thanks to all. I will talk to my GC about whether it is feasible to move it down behind the range. In that way we can add the properly accessible cover and then patch the existing location to allow for a backsplash.

Old 05-04-12, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
You can also paint the blank cover to match.