AFCI Breaker help

Old 05-04-12, 04:22 AM
AFCI Breaker help

Good Morning,
this message forum came highly recommended by a friend of mine. Maybe you guys can help me out.

I just bought a house and it was a new construction. The amish built the home and instead of putting GFI outlets in the bedrooms, he put AFCI breakers in the panel box.

We moved in last night, and i plugged my computer and computer monitor into 1 outlet in a spare bedroom and it tripped the breaker.. He told me the breakers are touchy.. if i only plug 1 of the 2 in, it does not cause a break.

What would you guys suggest i do to correct this?

Thank you for the help in advance

Chris Spangler

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-12, 04:33 AM
Group Moderator
The breakers are not that touchy. When was the house built?

Bedrooms do not require GFCI protection. They do require AFCI protection so your installation is correct.

Start by plugging into a different location. If it stays on, start with the one that was giving you trouble.

The thing to do first is turn off the power, test to make sure it is off at each location, take off the faceplate and make sure there are no wires touching the side screws. You might have to remove the device. The biggest offender is a bare ground touching, or close to touching the neutral (silver) screws. This will trip an AFCI in a heartbeat.

Welcome to the forums!

Old 05-04-12, 05:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I too suspect a loose connection. Follow the advice above and let us know the outcome.

Since the house sounds like it is new this should be a warranty issue. Have the installer fix this problem.

Old 05-04-12, 05:35 AM
i will check the outlets. I will try all the outlets in the room first.

I will take the faceplate off and inspect what is going on and check the wires

The builder of the home is Amish and i can not count on him getting back at a reliable time. I will diagnose this myself, if it seems too hard or i cannot get it corrected i will get a hold of him.

I will let you know how i make out after work.. (working til 3)

Thanks again

Chris Spangler

Old 05-04-12, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
The Amish know how to wire?

Old 05-04-12, 08:32 AM
long story short the amish started this home in 2010.. and it sat 90% done (no floor, carpet, garage) i bought the home and he put a 2 car garage on, and i did the hardwood flooring and carpet...

he told me this was his first start-finish home and he "learned alot"

that kind of scared me when i noticed my computer was tripping the breaker...

never thought to try the other outlets in the room...

Old 05-04-12, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
I assume the electrical work all passed inspection?

Old 05-04-12, 09:34 AM
yes,
everything passed code approx 2-3 weeks ago..
he did not have AFCI's in the panel box, so he made him change them.. everything passed at that point..

went home at lunchtime and bedroom # 1 outlets work fine when i plug my computer and a lamp and alarm clock in, as do the master bedroom they work fine.. bedroom #2 is the one i have in question.. so that rules out an issue in the panel.

i will check each outlet and make sure a wire is not touching where it's not supposed to..

Helpful site.. thanks for what you've suggested and i'll be sure to let you know how i make out.. won't leave you guys hangin!

Chris Spangler

Old 05-04-12, 05:53 PM
long story short the amish started this home in 2010
What version of the NEC was in force when the house was started? Considering the home was started in 2010, the 2005 or even 2002 codes may be the code your home was built and wired to meet. If the 2002 code is what your home had to meet, the electrician may have used some earlier generation AFCI breakers which were not exactly perfect and were known for many nuisance trips. The combination type AFCI breaker didn't come along until around perhaps 2005 and had improved technology in them that didn't allow as many nuisance trips. Strangely enough, I still see some of these early generation AFCI breakers on the shelf at big box stores, they are cheaper than the combination type. IF your home was to meet the 2008 or later NEC, you should have AFCI breakers of the combination type for most of the circuits in your home and not just the bedrooms, except for those required to have GFI protection.

Old 05-07-12, 04:40 AM
he is coming back today while i'm at work to check all the circuits on that breaker
they are combination type, he just doesnt have one grounded correctly it seems just like the others in the trread stated