Running Electric To Detached Garage

Old 05-05-12, 12:24 PM
Running Electric To Detached Garage

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but people here seem to be very helpful. I have been trying to research running electrical to my detached garage but haven't found a scenario that matches mine.

I just bought a new house and want to move my workshop out to the detached garage. My workshop will contain a table saw, drill press, dust collector, planer and other misc. small tools but they are all 120v. Eventually I would like to put a window A/C unit out there for extremely humid/hot days and that may need to be 240v but I would like to stick with 120v. I will be the only one working out there so only 2-3 of pieces of equipment will be running at a time, for example I may be running the dust collector and table saw possibly the a/c unit if I ever get it.

The garage will require about 80 feet of wire from main panel in the house to the sub-panel and it will be run underground in conduit. I'm thinking I will need 6-3 wire to feed a 50 amp sub panel with grounding rod. I have heard the wire needs to be stripped in the conduit and then I've heard don't strip it.

So I guess the big questions are what type of wire do I need? Is a 50 amp sub panel going to be enough? Do I need to strip the wire in the conduit? I'm open to any thoughts/suggestions anyone has.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-12, 12:46 PM
You need either 6-3g UF if you plan on direct burying, or, of you plan on using conduit, you need 6AWG red, black, white, and green THWN

Old 05-05-12, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
I have heard the wire needs to be stripped in the conduit
I believe the person meant removing the individual wires from cable not "strip" the wires. That would be a code violation. Generally if you use conduit for the entire run you use individual wires as detailed by Justin. If you use cable you only use conduit in short sections as a sleeve to protect the wire where exposed to damage such as when it enters and leaves the ground.

Note: You can use two black THWN instead of a black and red. Color choice is optional on the hots so long as it isn't green, green/yellow, white or gray. If you use #6 THWN you could go to 60a. Grounding conductor only needs to be #10 (copper). The subpanel will need a disconnect if there are more then six breakers. Usually just use a main breaker panel. A ground bar bonded to the panel will need to be added and the neutral bar isolated from the panel.

Cheapest may be to use a 100 amp main breaker panel kit with at least 12 slots. It will include an assortment of breakers including a man breaker which will serve as a disconnect. You would feed it with a 2-pole 50a or 60a breaker depending on if cable or individual conductors.

Old 05-05-12, 07:31 PM
Now I found wire at home depot for 2 somthing a foot and it had the red black white and ground all together in the sheath/casing whatever you want to call it. Can I use something like that or do I need to buy each color individual and run them each separately?

Old 05-05-12, 07:59 PM
Now I found wire at home depot for 2 somthing a foot and it had the red black white and ground all together in the sheath/casing whatever you want to call it.
That's a cable. Specifically, assuming the conductors are # 6, it's a 6-3/G cable. As Ray said,
Generally if you use conduit for the entire run you use individual wires as detailed by Justin. If you use cable you only use conduit in short sections as a sleeve to protect the wire where exposed to damage such as when it enters and leaves the ground.
I'll just add that, if you want to run cable underground without conduit, you'll need cable that's made to be buried. It's called Type UF (Underground Feeder).

Old 05-06-12, 06:38 AM
If you use UF cable (you can't use type NM cable underground in conduit), I am wondering why you want to spend so much extra money and cause yourself so much more trouble trying to pull a cable through conduit when pulling separate THWN or XHHW conductors is less expensive, much easier to do and provides a more professional installation.

Old 05-06-12, 05:50 PM
CasualJoe

I didn't realize it was cable and the reason I wanted to pull that was because it is cheaper than buying each of the wires individually. 2.57 per foot for all 4 wires vs 80$ a 100 ft. roll times 4 rolls. 231.00$ for the cable vs. 320.00$ for the rolls. Please let me know if there is a cheap place to buy the individual wire because that would help out a lot.

Old 05-07-12, 08:04 AM
Check at an electrical supply house for wire that's less per foot.

Old 05-07-12, 05:06 PM
Check at an electrical supply house for wire that's less per foot.
With that I agree. A supply house would be about half the price you were quoted.