Outside lamppost trips circuit breaker when wet

Old 05-07-12, 05:24 AM
Question Outside lamppost trips circuit breaker when wet

I have two lamposts on either side of my front patio. They are mounted to the concrete, and the wiring is buried. Occasionally, usually when it's wet outside, turning on the lights will trip the circuit breaker. Sometimes this happens immediately after turning on, sometimes it takes a while. I'm assuming there's an issue with the wiring in the ground, and it's causing a short. I'm wondering how hard of a fix this is, and how much it's likely to cost to fix. My house is on a slab, if that makes a difference in how the wiring is run.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-12, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
turning on the lights will trip the circuit breaker
Are they controlled from a switch in the house not a photocell at the pole? Are they fed with cable or conduit with individual wires? If cable is it NM-b or UF? Is there anything else on the same breaker? Is the circuit breaker GFCI or regular? That is does it have a test button?

Old 05-07-12, 06:20 AM
It's controlled by a switch just inside the front door. There is also a set of lights inside the house that is on the same circuit. I don't think there are any outlets also on that circuit, so it doesn't have a GFCI switch. That's about all I know.

Old 05-07-12, 06:26 AM
Group Moderator
First check at the light post to see if you can see what type of wiring method was used. Try to find where it leaves the house and goes outside.

Old 05-07-12, 06:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Finding this could turn into a long an expensive easter egg hunt or it could be a simple fix. There is no real way to tell how long or how much it could take to fix this.