Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Will this PIR motion sensor switch work with a light fixture?

Old 05-08-12, 08:55 AM

I would like to get this PIR motion sensor switch (off eBay), but the ad does not even say exactly how or what it's used for! I am thinking of connecting it to a lamp (a hanging ceiling lamp to be precise, but it is plugged into an AC outlet- running a single halogen bulb of about 30w). I'm on Canadian current, but it says it can go from 110v - 250v, 50-60hz. Is my idea doable with this device, and relatively safe?!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]342[/ATTACH]
Name:  pirmotionsensorback.jpg
Views: 3210
Size:  28.0 KB

(p.s. Ignore the 3rd image with blue background, I can't delete it! The actual switch in question is the 2nd image).

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-12, 11:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
From the basic specs, yes, it should work. A few issues though:

- It doesn't look like it will fit into a standard electrical box. The screw holes do not appear to be wide enough spaced for a standard single-gang box. (but without dimensions or a reference, it is difficult to tell)

- It appears to have only two terminals. It likely uses a small current through the bulb to power the electronics. It should work fine with your halogen bulb, but won't work well with a CFL or LED.

- It does not appear to be UL (or CE for that matter) listed. That doesn't mean it's inherently unsafe... but it hasn't gone through the same testing a similar switch that's sold in your local store has.

- It doesn't seem to have any settings as to sensitivity or how long the load should remain on after motion is detected.

All that said... I would recommend you go with something more main-stream like
Leviton-PR180-1LW-Incandescent-Infrared-Occupancy

This (or a very similar switch) should be available in your local hardware or big box store.

Good luck!

Old 05-08-12, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, Zorfdt. Just to clarify something, I don't intend to install the motion sensor in a wall switch outlet, per se. I need it to control what is basically a (hanging) lamp with a plug at the end. I'm not sure if it can be wired to the lamp, but I figure if it can be wired to a wall switch, it should be possible to connect it in some way to the lamp, directly.

BTW, I believe it does have 3 terminals, but the third is only partially visible; and is presumably a ground screw. The ad said it turns off in 10 - 350 seconds, so presumably, there may be a screw (not shown) that adjusts this. The ad also says that apart from incandescent, it controls LED and "energy saving" lamps (so again, I presume that means CFL's).

I did recently buy a switch similar to the one you linked (Lutron "Maestro" occupancy/vacancy sensor, which I think is probably better than the Leviton, if Amazon ratings are anything to go by). I needed it to control a ceiling light fixture connected to a wall switch, so in that case, that type was most suitable.