Floor Heat Thermostat

Old 05-08-12, 09:50 AM
Floor Heat Thermostat

I have a two-year-old electric floor heat system in a tile floor. Brand is WarmTiles, with a WarmTiels Easyheat thermostat.

The thermostat seems to have failed. It heats the floor continuously whether the thermostat is set to "manual", "off", or "auto". The in-floor sensor is probably OK, as the thermostat reports very warm temperatures.

Are these thermostats fairly "generic", so I can replace the existing device with a different brand, or do I need to use the same brand that was installed with the original floor? It seems that the devices are pretty basic, and that I can choose a different thermostat based on ease of programming.

Any thoughts or suggestiosn wil be welcome!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-12, 11:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would stay with the same brand as the components are part of a listed system.

Old 05-08-12, 11:43 AM
I agree with PCBoss. IMX, thermostats for radiant floor heat are not easily interchangeable. Plus that, using a different brand might affect the nice 15-year warranty for the floor components that came with your system. Would a GTS-1 programmable thermostat be an upgrade for you?

Old 05-08-12, 12:40 PM
That is good information - thanks for the replies!

I have the GTS-1. It is a bit tedious to program (hold this button for three seconds to ... etc).

I can certainly replace with the same device, though.

Old 05-08-12, 01:10 PM
I have the GTS-1. It is a bit tedious to program (hold this button for three seconds to ... etc).
Given that, you might prefer either the FTS-1 or the FTS-2, depending on whether your system is 120V or 240V. Those are 7-day programmable in addition to being 5/2-day programmable.

Having said that, these thermostats appear to come with their floor sensor attached. The connection to that may not be spliceable or switchable to a different device, so that replacing the thermostat would require removing and replacing a bit of tile. I would work through Warmtiles, Easyheat and Emerson.

Side note on this:
The in-floor sensor is probably OK, as the thermostat reports very warm temperatures.
The thermostat should be showing you room temperature. The floor sensor should be something the controls are using for their own internal logic. The displayed temperature on the T-stat should not be the internal temperature of the floor.

Old 05-08-12, 02:40 PM
Looks lie the sensor cable is separate. The installation instructions describe cutting the excess sensor cable, and attaching the two wires in the sensor cable to the thermostat.

The display in the thermostat is the floor temperature. This system is designed to warm the floor, but not to heat the room. Warm tiles is very clear that the heat is not enough to provide room heat.

Old 05-08-12, 03:01 PM
Looks lie the sensor cable is separate. The installation instructions describe cutting the excess sensor cable, and attaching the two wires in the sensor cable to the thermostat.
OK then. Provided the sensor is still good, and it sounds like it is, then you should be able to just switch that over to the new T-stat. Certainly if it's the same model.

The display in the thermostat is the floor temperature. This system is designed to warm the floor, but not to heat the room. Warm tiles is very clear that the heat is not enough to provide room heat.
Interesting. I haven't encountered one of those before (obviously). Yes, it's sounding more and more like the control itself has failed.