Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Changing single pole dimmers that were connected together to standard switch

Old 05-10-12, 09:09 AM

I recently installed a ceiling fan. The switch box it goes to is a box of 3 single pole dimmers. I don't need any of the dimmers and would rather have standard switches. There is one line coming from the box that has a red, black, and white wire . Then there's 3 other sets of black and whites one which has no voltage. I disconnected them all and now forgot the configuration they were set up. I know all the whites were connected together and the dimmers were bridged together the first in the string was connected to the red wire. Any way it seems I can't get the right combo and the red wire is throwing me off. Also I don't understand why the last wire coming from the main was connected to the string of dimmers yet when I test it there is no power. Wondering if the last wire with no power completed the loop. Any help would be appreciated. I have a photo of the set up I used the color blue for the neutrals and numbered each line at the box. The circles are the switches but it wont let me attach it. Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-12, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
Below assumes no three way switch. Post back if one of the lights has switches in two locations.

Cap the red both at the switch and at the ceiling box where the fan was previously installed. It will not be used.

Determine which line in is hot using a multimeter or test light to test between the white and black of each 2-conductor cable (line).

Connect the black of the hot cable to three pigtails. Fasten one pigtail to each switch.

Connect a black from each of the remaining three cables to each of the switches.

All whites together.

Grounds connected in the normal manner.

Old 05-10-12, 10:41 AM
Ok did what u said. All 3 switches have power. The first switch turns on the lights which is on the line that had the red wire which is capped. Second switch doesn't turn on its lights. Checked bulbs they are fine. There is 120 to that switch. The third switch has power but when I turn it on it trips the breaker. Any ideas also the old and new switches are single pole and there was never a three way.

Old 05-10-12, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Just to verify you did use a meter or test light not a non contact tester to determine which cable was hot. If so we need to know the cables and wiring at each light.

Old 05-10-12, 11:12 AM
I used a meter which shows 120v to all 3 lines. I removed the line that was connected to the ceiling fan because it was tripping the breaker. The reason I'm in the predicament is because the old dim switch to the fan was shorting out and had melted wire coming out of the switch. So it's still tripping which could be the wiring at the fan itself. But again I capped both white and black to the fan switch and I still only one switch turns on its light and the other which I verified is getting 120v and the bulbs are fine still won't turn on its light. Hope I'm not confusing you sorry

Old 05-10-12, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
I used a meter which shows 120v to all 3 lines.
Three lines should show ~0 volts. The fourth cable should show 120v. Is that what you mean? Please tell us the wiring at the light that had the 3-conductor cable.

Old 05-10-12, 01:26 PM
Correct 3 lines have no volts and 1 line "has" 120. I'm not sure I understand what 3 conductor cable is.

Old 05-10-12, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
3-conductor cable has four wires, red, black, white, bare.

Old 05-10-12, 02:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like there might be a switch loop involved.

The red might go to the set of lights that is not working on the switch.

Old 05-10-12, 06:24 PM
The 3 conductor wire runs up the wall which is behind the drywall so I'm not sure where it goes to. There are 2 sets of can lights which prior to me disconnecting at the switch worked on 2 of the dimmer switches. PC boss there are two dimmer switches on the opposite side of the wall but when the breaker is shut off to the problem switches those 2 set of lights stay on, so im not sure they are connected to each other. Really stumped. Looking to the back of the switch box it's kind of strange that 3 of the cables have a black sleeve and 1 has a white sleave making me think the white sleaved cable was installed after the drywall was installed. There's no 120v coming to that cable so it's not an independent cable going to the breaker box. I know it's a lot of info I'm shooting out here but I'm stumped and maybe someone on here can give me an idea I haven't thought of yet