What type of junction box for a floored attic?

Old 05-11-12, 06:55 PM
What type of junction box for a floored attic?

Hello all,

I am planning on installing a few junction boxes in my attic and want to know what the best type would be. I've been searching and read that people like the larger square boxes because they are roomier. Would it be ok if I got the square boxes with the bracket on the side that has holes so I can screw it in the joists? Would it be ok to cut out a plywood hatch around where the junction box would go? Is that considered accessible?

My second idea was to use double gang switch boxes instead of junction boxes because I can mount them flush with the attic floor and just put a cover over it.

What would you guys recommend? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-12, 04:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Junction boxes installed flush with the floor may not suffice as foot traffic may cause them to break. How will you attach the boxes? Is there any way you can bring the wiring up to the rafter and attach the boxes, there? Hatch? No. They must be visibly accessible.

Old 05-12-12, 06:17 AM
The junction boxes will be screwed to the joists. Could I put the junction box under the plywood but put an access cover there so its obvious its there?

Like this: 12 in. x 12 in. Steel Wall/Ceiling Access Door-Z91212SCWH at The Home Depot

Old 05-12-12, 06:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Floor rated boxes are very expensive. I would opt for mounting the receptacles where I could see them.

The cords coming out of the floor are a bad idea as they would be subject to damage also.

Old 05-12-12, 06:42 AM
Ok, how about if I put a 2x4 going straight up and screw the junction box on the 2x4 with the NM wiring going straight down the 2x4 into the joist cavity?