Changing a surface mount sub panel into a flush mount

Old 05-12-12, 01:20 AM
Changing a surface mount sub panel into a flush mount

Hey everyone,

I bought a surface mount Siemens 125A outdoor-rated sub panel but realized that a flush may be better for the project. Code allowing, is it possible to make it into a flush mount instead? I was planning on putting a nice bead of caulking around the edges. Is that code compliant?

Also, if I can make it into a flush mount, I will need to drill 4 new mounting holes on the sides of the panel to mount it to the studs. Currently the panel has no holes on the sides. Are there any code restrictions about that?

I would just like to save myself the hassle of returning the panel and then TRYING to find an outdoor flush panel (couldn't find one at the home improvement store).

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-12, 05:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! What is the model number of the panel you purchased? Will you be mounting this inside or outside? How will you run your cabling? Conduit?

Old 05-12-12, 06:35 AM
I am not sure I have ever seen a NEMA 3R panel intended for flush mounting. Most less expensive loadcenters manufactured as 3R hinge at the top, is this the way your cover opens?

Old 05-12-12, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
I have never seen a flush outdoor rated panel either. You could mount it inside the wall and just leave it stick out far enough so the panel cover will fully open.

Old 05-12-12, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Here's a pic of the panel details:

The panel does open upwards and it overlaps the sides about 1/2 an inch.

Old 05-13-12, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's why i asked how you were running your cables. With a top mounted point of entry, I don't see how you will make this thing flush to the wall. It wasn't made for flush mount.