Cabin wiring

Old 05-14-12, 05:35 PM
Cabin wiring

My 1200 sq ft 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, den, kitchen cabin was flooded in the Great Flood last year and I gutted it. I am planning on rebuilding it this summer and I would like to know what my wiring requirements should be (wiring, circuits, etc.). It has electricity, propane gas, water, and septic system. I will be using gas for heat, water heater, and stove.The electicity will mainly power, the lights, window ac units, ceiling fans, refrigerator, dishwasher, flat screen tv, etc. What are my wiring requirements in terms of size, amps, voltage, box, etc.?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-12, 05:44 PM
Not asking much, are you? Please purchase the book Wiring Simplified and read it cover to cover and then come back with specific questions.

Wiring Simplified is available from most mega-mart homecenters and better hardware stores as well as several on-line book sellers. In the homecenter it is more likely to be in the electrical aisle rather than the area with all the other books.

Old 05-14-12, 06:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The minimum service size allowed by the NEC is 100 amps.

As all the wiring will be new you will need to install to the requirements of whatever code your area has adopted. Some common circuits are 2 20 amp small appliance circuits for the kitchen/dining, a 20 amp laundry, a 20 amp bathroom receptacle circuit. Many appliances like a disposal, dishwasher etc may also require dedicated circuits.

The building code will also require interconnected dual powered smoke alarms.

The is a whole plethora of issues to consider.

Old 05-14-12, 06:50 PM
All of the circuits supplying an area where someone might sleep will require AFCI protection in the panel. Including the power for the interconnected dual powered smoke alarms that pcboss mentioned. The general rule now is that if it isn't protected downline (after the panel) by GFCI, then it's protected in the panel by AFCI.

Since you have a septic tank, I doubt if you'll have a garbage disposal, so that's one off.

Old 05-15-12, 03:56 PM
To add a couple of tidbits, don't forget you'll need tamperproof receptacles and weather resistant GFI receptacles outside with in-use covers. Your first step should be to find out what version of the NEC is in force in your area. Then, follow Furd's suggestion.

Please purchase the book Wiring Simplified and read it cover to cover and then come back with specific questions.

Wiring Simplified is available from most mega-mart homecenters and better hardware stores as well as several on-line book sellers. In the homecenter it is more likely to be in the electrical aisle rather than the area with all the other books.