3 speed celing fan switch

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-01, 02:49 PM
Visiting Guest
I need to know a wiring diagram for a 3 speed switch for a celing fan.Someone else took it out and I have to many wires coming out of the fan(8) to match the one's on the switch(4)and only 1 color match(black).
Thanks a bunch

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-01, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question describe

8 wires are coming out of the top of the fan(where it mounts to the ceiling? Is there a light kit on the fan?
May this account for 2,3,or4 wires?
Which part do you need to wire? all, fan, switch, ???

Tell us more about what you need to know.

gj

Old 01-18-01, 05:34 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I suspect that all wires that went to that speed switch are hot wires no grounded or groundings. I suspect that you will find two wires for each winding of the motor, most likely three windings. Maybe power in from the ceiling. that makes 7 wires. You say you have eight, you lost me if this is true, unless this other black wire is going to power directional switch.

Speed switches use the different windings of the motor to increase or decrease speed depending on the number of wraps of each winding. To identify these different windings and the wires to that certain winding you will have to use a continuity tester. Each winding's wire will show continuity to the second winding's wire, but not to the other winding's wire.

The directional switch should be controlled by the windings of the field of the motor instead of the rotor.

Someone else may be able to give the colors by memory, if not then hope you have a continuity tester.

Hope this helps, or someone else can come in and id the colors for you by memory.

Wg

Old 01-19-01, 05:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Re: describe

Originally posted by green jacket
8 wires are coming out of the top of the fan(where it mounts to the ceiling? Is there a light kit on the fan?
May this account for 2,3,or4 wires?
Which part do you need to wire? all, fan, switch, ???

Tell us more about what you need to know.

gj

O.k. I have 8 wires in the box(where the speed and dirictional switchs are mounted) between the light kit and fan blades.
I need to know how to wire the speed switch. It has 4 wires (2 black, 1 blue, 1 red). The ones on the fan are 2 pink, 2 orange,1 yellow, 1 brown, 1 purple, 1 black.
Thanks a bunch

Old 01-19-01, 05:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Wgoodrich
I suspect that all wires that went to that speed switch are hot wires no grounded or groundings. I suspect that you will find two wires for each winding of the motor, most likely three windings. Maybe power in from the ceiling. that makes 7 wires. You say you have eight, you lost me if this is true, unless this other black wire is going to power directional switch.

Speed switches use the different windings of the motor to increase or decrease speed depending on the number of wraps of each winding. To identify these different windings and the wires to that certain winding you will have to use a continuity tester. Each winding's wire will show continuity to the second winding's wire, but not to the other winding's wire.

The directional switch should be controlled by the windings of the field of the motor instead of the rotor.

Someone else may be able to give the colors by memory, if not then hope you have a continuity tester.

Hope this helps, or someone else can come in and id the colors for you by memory.

Wg

Old 01-19-01, 05:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by jleebow
Originally posted by Wgoodrich

Wg
Yes Sir, This has helped me a great deal. I still wish I knew the color codes it would save alot of time, but thanks very much, you gave me a place to get started.

Closed Thread