Electrical for Fireplace

Old 05-17-12, 05:51 PM
Electrical for Fireplace

Replacing my fireplace with a new version. This version has electronic start rather then the old one with a pilot lite. This requires a 120 AC outlet behind the firebox to have the fireplace plug into. I do not feel comfortable with a plug and outlet behind the fireplace simply because it would be most difficult to get to in the event of trouble or??? The fireplace mounts in place using tabs to the framing and then covered up with drywall and then tile. I would have to destroy the tile/drywall to get to it. I have a 120 v outlet about 1 foot from the fireplace, but inspecting it today, found out it has 2 cables to it, (one feeding the outlet and the other feeding some other circuit)?? Was wondering if I could just notch out an area for some "square" conduit thru the tile and next to the wall and have a plug to use for the fireplace. Not to fond of that idea but was looking for some suggestions.?? TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-12, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Add an extension ring to the existing receptacle then replace the existing receptacle with a combo switch/receptacle. Use surface race to the inside of the firebox and mount a surface mounted receptacle for the fireplace. That way you will have a switch for the fireplace receptacle since your nervous about obstructing it.

Old 05-17-12, 08:21 PM
Following on what Ray said, you could also fish the feed for the fireplace through the wall and come into the existing box in the normal way. Replacing the duplex receptacle that's there now with a receptacle/switch combo would then allow you to interrupt and restore power to the fireplace whenever you choose to do so.

Old 05-18-12, 03:58 PM
So just to make sure I understand:
The present wiring is stripped wires plugged into the "holes" in the back of the receptacle. One cable on the top receptacle and one cable on the bottom receptacle. The screws are not used.
The new wiring would be to use one cable in the holes and the other cable on the screws. The screws left over would route thru (black wire) the switch and on to the fireplace receptacle. ?? I believe I will be able to fish the fireplace wire thru the wall as suggested by Nashkat1. (Drywall mounted on a furing strip about 1" spacing filled with insulation) :-(. Tx for the tips, will let you know how it goes.!!

Ray2047. Not familiar with "add extension ring" help on that one

Old 05-18-12, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
The present wiring is stripped wires plugged into the "holes" in the back of the receptacle.
If you read this forum much you will know we always recommend using the screws not back stabs because of connection reliability issues. I would suggest using pigtails if you have more wires then screws. For example you have three wires they would be wire nutted to a 6 inch length of wire same color and size (pigtail) and the pigtail connected to a screw on the receptacle.

I believe I will be able to fish the fireplace wire thru the wall as suggested by Nashkat1.
Then you will not need an extension ring. That would only be used for surface race.

Old 05-18-12, 05:13 PM
OK got it! Tx again. There once was a man from boston (adding stuff to meet the 25 character requirement

Old 05-18-12, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My fireplace has a flip up access door under the firebox. Very easy to get to the cord if need be. There is also a wall switch to turn the fireplace on.