Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

made a mistake on 4 way switch wireing. drywall is up and finished.

Old 05-17-12, 08:09 PM

I dont know what i was thinking when i did this but need help deciding what to do.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-12, 08:55 PM
I think you know what you need to do. To get all 3 switches to work the way you want, you need to run 14-3 from the third switch to the load and abandon the 14-2 between the middle switch and the load.

Or you could forget the third switch location and install the two 3-way switches in the end boxes (line feed and load feed). You've got the wiring in place for that.

Old 05-17-12, 09:21 PM
I thought that was the response i would get but wanted to make sure there was not some miracle fix. Thanks

Old 05-18-12, 04:30 AM
Group Moderator
Hope you did not open the rock yet but Nashkat is wrong. You have enough wires.

Here's how:
Source box:
Hot to common screw
Red/black of 14/3 to travelers
Whites tied together

Box with 3 cables:
Travelers (red/black) from source box connect to 4 way switch
Black and white (taped black) going to single cable box connects to last two screws on 4 way
White to light connects to white from source box
Red from single cable box connects to black to light

Box with single cable:
White (taped black) and black to traveler screws
Red to common screw.

All grounds connect together and to switches if plastic boxes.

Old 05-18-12, 06:15 AM
Tolyn is right. I hadn't thought through it that way.

I think I would connect the white (taped black), in the cable going to the box with a single cable, to connect the common screw of the 3-way there to the black going to the light, and use the black and red to connect the second two traveler screws on the 4-way to the traveler screws on the 3-way. Just seems more intuitive somehow, and keeps the travelers consistently red and black. But that's totally a side note.

Old 05-18-12, 06:17 AM
I did not open the drywall yet so I am glad i checked back this morning. Will this pass inspection if i wire it this way? Is there any safety issues ( i assume not since you suggested it)? Thanks

Old 05-18-12, 07:21 AM
I did not open the drywall yet so I am glad i checked back this morning. Will this pass inspection if i wire it this way? Is there any safety issues ( i assume not since you suggested it)? Thanks
It'll pass and is legal and safe.

Old 05-18-12, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
According to the net SD uses the 2008 version of the NEC. Yes, it is safe and code compliant.

Old 05-18-12, 05:12 PM
Will your inspector require you to have a neutral conductor in each switch box? That is a 2011 code requirement, what version of the NEC are you following?

Well, I see TI answered that question.

Old 05-18-12, 06:00 PM
Thanks again guys i really did not want to cut into the wall. I appreciate the replies and help.

Old 05-19-12, 03:13 AM
Group Moderator
I did a little more digging and am finding conflicting info. South Dakota MAY be on 2011 code, but with quite a few amendments. As Joe mentioned, 2011 code requires a neutral in each box, but I could not confirm that this is required in SD. You may have to check with your AHJ.

As you can see the neutral rule was just changed in 2011. Your installation is still 100% safe wired as I outlined earlier. The neutral rule was added because of devices such as motion or lighted switches which are rarely used in residential, and even so, there is devices that do not require a neutral. So, given all that, your inspector may let it slide.