ceiling recessed light issues?

Old 05-19-12, 07:12 AM
ceiling recessed light issues?

Another question for the experts...

Recently, I replaced an old fluorescent light fixture, located in the center of my kithen ceiling. After removing the light fixture, I pigtailed 2 additional romex cables (12 gauge, matching the original) to the original white, black, and ground. I ran each new cable from the box to a new recessed light fixture, and then ran a cable from each new light fixture to another new recessed light fixture. So, in the original ceiling junction box (metal octagon as I recall) there is one original cable "in" and 2 new cables "out", powering 4 recessed ceiling lights, each with a low wattage spotlight.

So, issue one - does this sound proper?

Here is the second possible issue: the original ceiling electrical box was recessed from the ceiling, and I was able to put a metal cover on the box and sheetrock over that, hiding it from view. Thinking about it, I am now wondering if covering that box with sheetrock was proper?

If not, how does an electrician usually handle this junction box in the center of the ceiling, no longer covered by a light fixture? Do they just put a metal plate on it and paint?

Thanks - appreciate your comments and criticisms!

Last edited by ray2047; 05-19-12 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Remove Font Code
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-12, 07:31 AM
Group Moderator
Please in the future do not change the forum default fonts. Your font choice made your post harder for me to read. I have removed the font code.

the original ceiling electrical box was recessed from the ceiling, and I was able to put a metal cover on the box and sheetrock over that, hiding it from view.
Major code violation. J-boxes must remain accessible.

If not, how does an electrician usually handle this junction box in the center of the ceiling, no longer covered by a light fixture? Do they just put a metal plate on it and paint?
Just paint the cover is one solution.Use decorative cover that resembles a light base without a light. If unfinished attic above turn it into the attic. Disconnect the cable at both ends and abandon in place running new cable to the new lights. Or if possible move the existing cable to the new lights.

Old 05-19-12, 09:49 AM
Thanks Ray...sorry about the font...was a cut and paste error...

Just got back from the store with a white plastic cover plate. Will cut out the sheetrock and install the cover plate over the metal box cover, and paint as you suggest.

Old 05-19-12, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
Simpler is better. Looks like you found the right solution. Just be sure the box is flush with the ceiling. Use an extension ring if necessary.

Old 05-19-12, 11:18 AM
Will cut out the sheetrock and install the cover plate over the metal box cover, and paint as you suggest.
The white plastic cover should replace the metal cover, not install over it. Use an extension ring, as Ray suggested, to bring the face of the box flush to the face of the ceiling if you need to.

Old 05-19-12, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
and install the cover plate over the metal box cover
Missed that. Thanks for catching that, Nash. As Nash said the plastic cover replaces the metal cover.

Old 05-20-12, 06:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The old 8B box is now overfilled and should be replaced with a deeper box or an extension ring added for additional capacity.