wiring a

Old 01-18-01, 11:24 PM
Visiting Guest
OK....you guys know about those "honey-do" lists, well lets just say I am working on task #38 of a simple wallpaper project in the master bathroom. My wife wants MORE POWER!! I need to add a second duplex outlet adjacent to the only receptacle in the room (gotta have the radio on while she blow-drys, and looks into her lighted makeup mirror..sheesh!). I just need to know how to connect the wiring to TWO duplex receptacles. The existing outlet I assume is in the middle of a circuit since there are 2 cables coming in, and it is a GFI line (breaker at main box). I have the quad blue plastic box in the wall, now what?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-01, 05:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm not an electrician, but here's how I would do it.
1. Turn off gf breaker to circuit.
2. Twist and wirenut incoming/outgoing bare ground wires together along with two 6" bare wire jumpers to the green screws on both receptacles.
3. Twist and wirenut the incoming/outgoing white (neutral) wires together.
4. Connect incoming black (hot) wire to a brass screw on first receptacle. Connect a 6" black jumper wire from other brass screw on first receptacle to a brass screw on second receptacle. Connect outgoing black wire to other brass screw on second receptacle. Viola!
Should work fine. (I hope that you have 12/2-with-ground on a 20 amp gf breaker on this circuit.)
Good Luck!

Old 01-19-01, 06:53 AM
J
I'm guessing you know that this won't give you any more power, just more outlets.

I think OldGuy forgot that your existing outlet is GFCI. He didn't contain enough instructions for adding to a GFCI, since you need to understand "line" and "load" side issues.

MOST IMPORTANT: DO NOT DISCONNECT ANYTHING WITHOUT LABELING THE WIRES AS TO WHERE THEY WENT BEFORE. OTHERWISE, YOU'LL NEED TO DO A BUNCH OF DIAGNOSTICS TO FIGURE OUT WHICH CABLE IS "LINE" AND WHICH IS "LOAD".

Old 01-20-01, 10:03 AM
D
You don't need electricity for the wife to have more POWER !