Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Need advice on cleaning up wires in service panel and AFCIs

Need advice on cleaning up wires in service panel and AFCIs

Old 06-01-12, 06:11 PM
I got the Ideal C24 yesterday. Today I crimped all of the ground wires and finished the job. The service panel is much cleaner now!

One question. I noticed that there are a couple of ground wires that go through a knockout at the top of the service panel but there is no clamp there like there is for all of the other wires. Do ground wires not require a clamp? They are thick like a 1/4" or more thick in diameter. One of them is stranded and the other is a thick solid wire that connects to the radiator piping.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-12, 06:18 PM
Do ground wires not require a clamp?
Kind of a judgment call by the local inspector. The larger bare wires are most likely Grounding Electrode Conductors (GECs) and run to ground rods or metallic water piping. The NEC requires that GECs smaller than #6 be "protected" so generally #6 wire is used even if not required to be that large to eliminate the necessity of providing protection. Obviously the GEC and the enclosure are both at the same voltage potential so it isn't a matter of needing to insulate.

How do you like the C24? Pretty slick, huh?

Old 06-01-12, 07:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Many areas will allow the grounds to enter the panel thru the built in 1/4" holes. Some areas require something like a Kenny clamp.

Old 06-01-12, 08:25 PM
The C24 is a great tool. I don't understand why its not sold at Home Depot. I cannot believe someone would want to crimp using a pair of pliers or one of those 2 sided crimpers. Crimping on 4 sides the way the C24 does should be a minimum standard.