Neutral & Ground Voltage

Old 05-22-12, 09:27 AM
Neutral & Ground Voltage

GFCI tripped and would not reset. Replaced this same GFCI about 2 years ago (house is 9 years old). GFCI has 6 outlets - took them all apart and replaced two of them. GFCI still would not reset. Used Greenlee 3 wire outlet tester to ensure outlets were wired correctly. Used Fluke Multimeter to check voltage since you need at least 108V to reset 20A GFCI. Hot & Ground showed 122V, Hot and Neutral showed 93V, Neutral and Ground showed 22V. From what I can tell (and I check every outlet in my house) the GFCI outlet is fed directly from the breaker (by the way - checked the breaker - 123V) and only feeds the 6 outlets in my kitchen. Took every outlet apart so that nothing is connected after the GFCI and still only getting a max of 93V. Not sure what to check next but my guess is my neutral connection is either bad or grounded somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-12, 09:38 AM
my guess is my neutral connection is either bad or grounded somewhere.
My guess is that your neutral wiring is either damaged or loose somewhere. Have you checked the termination of the neutral into the breaker?

BTW, when you say
From what I can tell... the GFCI outlet is fed directly from the breaker... and only feeds the 6 outlets in my kitchen.
I'm wondering: do you only have one 20A circuit for small kitchen appliances? Not two?

Old 05-22-12, 09:45 AM
I have two GFI's in the kitchen - kitchen is basically split in half and they run off of seperate breakers. I tried to check the neutral in the breaker - seemed way too hard to trace the wires and did not want to kill the power to the house (at this time) to investigate further

Old 05-22-12, 12:29 PM
I'm confused. If you
have two GFI's in the kitchen - kitchen is basically split in half and they run off of seperate breakers.
then what is
the GFCI outlet [that] is fed directly from the breaker... and only feeds the 6 outlets in my kitchen
doing?

Old 05-22-12, 01:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Looks as if you have a compromised neutral. The voltages you were getting via a digital meter were phantom voltages. Check the neutral at the GFCI and along the path it takes to the breaker panel. If there is junction box somewhere (not likely) check the wiring in it.

Old 05-22-12, 02:21 PM
Just to clarify - the gfi that is out only supplies power to 6 outlets in my kitchen - I have more then 6 outlets which are supplied by the other gfi. After tracing the power from the garage I found the problem outlet which just happened to be outside in my garage - never thought to check the garage. It had a burnt neutral terminal so I replaced it and everything is fixed.

Thanks for your help

Old 05-22-12, 03:24 PM
Thank you for letting us know the outcome.