Job Estimate

Old 01-19-01, 07:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I was wondering if someone could approximate what it would cost me to have an electrician come in to install a ceiling fan in a room with no existing light fixture, as well as track lighting in a seperate room again with no existing fixture. My home is a single story ranch with an accessible attic. I want to call and get a couple estimates but most of the electricians in my area are busy for quite a while. I don't need/want or expect an entirely accurate estimate I would only like a ballpark figure, or at least what electricians usually charge an hour (if they charge by the hour or by project). Any information on this would be extremely helpful.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-01, 06:41 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Any estimate issued to you would be a wild uncontrolled guess that wouldn't have the value of taking the time to read.

Each area charges different, each job has different difficulties, each electrician varies their hourly rate by the rule of supply and demand.

Estimates are usually free. They want your business. Just make sure you are comparing apples for apples between bids, require proof of qualifications of your electrical contractor by seeing a license or some other proof of passing a test to prove he knows what he is doing. Just because he has been doing it for 50 years don't take that as qualified. Would you want open heart surgery done on you by a doctor that hasn't seen any schooling since he first got his license to practice medicine. Remember electricity kills, usually while you are sleeping.

By the way in my area electricians charge between $35 and $50 per hour plus 20% to 50% mark up on material.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 01-20-01, 10:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

That really is a location based question. For the areas in which I work the general labor rates range from 50-90 an hour plus material m/u's. A decent electrical contractor should have something like that done in under 8 hours assuming there are no major snags along the way!