Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Question on power requirments/possibilities for a lighting system

Old 05-23-12, 08:07 PM

Hi folks, I'm helping some friends with an art project and we need to setup a lighting system for it.

What we're dealing with is 4 led bar lights which have the following specs:

Voltage: 120V/60Hz ~ 230V/50Hz
Power Consumption: 36W
Fuse: 7Amp
I'm in California if that's important.

What I'm mainly looking for is how much power I'm going to need to power these lights overnight (8-10 hours at a time). I'm thinking this may need a generator, but not sure how powerful it would have to be. Also would love to know if anyone has suggestions on alternate ways this could be powered, someone I knew mentioned the possibility of charging batteries during the day and using them to power lights at night, I'm not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-12, 04:47 AM
Welcome to the forums.

The fuse rating seems very high for a device that draws only 36 watts. What is the make & model?

A 200-watt inverter will run your four LED bars -- and nothing else -- for close to 8 hours on a single deep cycle 100 amp-hour battery. However, draining the batts all the way is not a good idea. Better to use two batteries in parallel. (In theory a 150-watt inverter could run the 4 x 36-watt bars, but there should be some "headroom" when using an inverter. Inverters don't like to be loaded above 90%.)

Solar could work to charge them, but you would need a charge controller and a fairly large array of panels. That can get expensive.

Can you just take them home to charge them?

Old 05-24-12, 06:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are the LED lights usually powered by a small external transformer? That transformer steps the voltage down from 120 (or 240) to possibly around 12-15v. You may be able to forgo that transformer and just wire the bar to a battery. Does the transformer have specs on it?

Old 05-24-12, 11:38 AM
I managed to find a link to the user manual (where I got specs) and product I have:
American DJ Homepage
http://www.americandj.com/pdffiles/mega_pixel_led.pdf

The battery path would be best for what I'm working on. Taking them home to recharge them is not an option though. However, we will have access to a fairly strong generator that could be used to recharge the batteries. My only concern would be it taking too long to get them charged back up. Worst case scenario I'd have to get another generator as the project and camp will be two different spots, but I'm not sure how powerful it'd have to be.

As for how they are usually powered, from what I know it seems like just a basic cord that plugs into the wall, no external transformer.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-24-12, 05:17 PM
Those lights also require a DMX controller.

Old 05-24-12, 08:58 PM
Ah, yes. The lights can be programmed via the lights themselves individually, but I am using this basic controller for them. It didn't come with any info on power needs though.

http://www.amazon.com/American-DJ-Su.../dp/B001P33HVK