Lost power to two wall plugs in my bedroom... help.

Old 05-24-12, 08:23 AM
Unhappy Lost power to two wall plugs in my bedroom... help.

I was laying in bed with my box fan blowing on me and my cellphone plugged into the wall, when all of a sudden the fan turned off. I also had my tv turn off that's plugged into a different plug on the other side of my room, but the third plug in the room is still working and its on a separate breaker. I went to the panel and manually flipped all the breakers in the house and still i have no power to the two plugs in my room. What should I do next?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-12, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Find all of the receptacles and fixtures on the circuit, you probably have something wrong at the one immediately before the first dead one or at that first dead one.

Old 05-24-12, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
And move any back stabs to the screws and remove and inspect any wire nuts. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rminology.html

Old 05-24-12, 09:18 AM
I went to the panel and manually flipped all the breakers in the house and still i have no power to the two plugs in my room. What should I do next?
Test the two receptacles that have lost power with a receptacle tester. Then test all of the other receptacles in the area. This should tell you whether you have an open neutral or an open line feed or some other problem, and it may also help you determine the wiring pattern in the room(s), to help you figure out which receptacle might be the last working one before the dead ones. Remember that a standard receptacle is actually a duplex receptacle and test each one - upper and lower - separately.

Suggestion: If you need to buy a one, spend the extra couple of dollars to get a GFCI receptacle tester. That will also let you test whether the GFCI devices in your house are working properly. There are many brands available, and your local hardware or home supply store should have them in stock.

I also had my tv turn off that's plugged into a different plug on the other side of my room, but the third plug in the room is still working and its on a separate breaker.
On a separate breaker from the two receptacles that lost power? If those two outlets are dead, how did you determine which circuit they're on? It is uncommon for receptacles in one room to be on different circuits. The problem could well be at the receptacle that still has power.

Tech note: Its a small distinction, but the devices in the walls are called receptacles. They receive and hold plugs, which are the pronged ends of the power cords.