No Power in Two Rooms

Old 01-19-01, 08:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have recently been replacing outlets in my home to CO/LAR since the home has AL wiring and no CO/LAR switches or outlets. Anyway, after turning the power off and replacing the outlets and switches, then turning the power back on everything works fine except two rooms, which I believe are on the same circuit since I only have to turn off one switch in my panel box in the basement. The switch is 15 Amps (says 15 on the switch). When I turn the power back on there is no power to any of the outlets in those two rooms. I have tested with two separate testers and both register no power. The strange thing is that when I turned the power back on the first time the switch wasnít thrown so I assumed everything was ok. Is this switch bad? How do I replace one if it is, or did I somehow mis-wire the new outlets? I marked all the wires when I removed the old outlets so I donít think itís a wiring problem, can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-01, 08:07 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you understand split recepticles? Do you have any wall switches controlling (or rather that used to control) outlets in these rooms? Did you check the break-out tabs on the outlets you removed and match them on the outlets you installed? Do you know what I'm talking about?

Q: Is this switch bad?
A: Very unlikely.

Old 01-19-01, 10:22 AM
Visiting Guest
John,
I do understand split receptacles somewhat. The switches (only one per room) in these two rooms had in fact been used to control the outlets; however, I can't remember which outlet was used by the switch. All the NEW outlets in the room have the break-out tabs still attached since I am unable to determine which outlet is controlled by the switch. There is one outlet in one room that I THINK is controlled by the switch because it has a black and white wire pigtailed together and another black wire. So I have the pigtailed wire (black and white) connected to the hot side of the outlet along with the other black. Then there is a single white wire connected to the bottom screw of the outlet on the other side (opposite hot). Is this correct? Or should the white wire be on the top screw? This is the only outlet that I'm unsure about (as far as the wiring).

Old 01-19-01, 03:05 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but you've got a mess. There is no cookbook or standard procedure for figuring this out. You've either got to spend your next several weekends playing electrical detective with your multimeter, or you've got to call an electrician and fess up what you've done. Good luck.

Old 01-19-01, 07:06 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
To find a switch receptacle, try finding a receptacle box that has three cables in it, this is probably your receptacle designed to be switched. This is not a sure thing but a good place to start.

If you have no boxes with three cables in it then look for the receptacle that is the end of line on that circuit. This is also a good bet where the switch receptacle is located.

Good Luck

Wg