Best way to wire inside to outside of house?

Old 05-27-12, 09:12 AM
Best way to wire inside to outside of house?

Hello! I need some professional advice on how to route out some miscellaneous wires from inside my house to the outside. I've been running some of this out a window (RG-59 and CAT5), but of course, it looks HORRIBLE, honky and luckily the window I run it out of is close to under my deck, so not such an eye sore.

However, I want to make this more clean and professional looking. Ideally, I'd like to go about 2' to the right of the window and route out the wires into some sort of small diameter tube/conduit and not make it look like some cable company came over to do it (e.g. drill a hole, run it out and silicon caulk it, ga!).

Here's the explain my environment and application.

Wires: For starters, this isn't electrical wire. I've got one CAT5(e), two RG-59 and two thin low-loss cables with BNC male end on it which is used for a home-brew temperature sensor, GPS antenna units and two HD home security cameras. I tried to do some research, but couldn't find any real datasheet material if these plastics on the wires were UV-resistent, so I'm going to say all of them are not. I'd say, together, all these wires would fit in a in a 3/4" or 1" diameter conduit/tube.

Environment: I have a location (closet in my home with an open ceiling adjacent to the window) that has access to joists where all these wires are ran and centrally located. Right now I run the wires down, under the closet door, up and out the window. Yuck. Wife is pissed.

House/Siding: I have a sub-basement (4' walls) so I wouldn't be drilling through concerete. This is high enough that I'd be going through my oak panel siding, then through plywood and whatever other wood layers to the house and into the ceiling of the closet.

Before posting, I found this forum post:

Proper Way To Send UF Cable From Inside To Outside - Electrical - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

...and that's what I'd like to do, routing wise, and use that grey conduit to run/route/protect my cables on the outside, I'm just not fond of having to put on that box. I know I could get a blank face plate for it, but I'd like to just run that conduit tube into the depth of the hole I drill into the house. That's just me brain-storming, it certainly doesn't reflect reality/code of the electrician world with routing cables like this.

Suggestions and input welcome. Also, I have some big hardware chain stores around my area (Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) so it's got to be something I could go get there and not be crazy expensive.

Also, sorry for the lengthy reply. I wanted to capture the situation in it's entirety.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-12, 09:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are fittings called LB's or pull L's that are used to transition between through the wall and up or down. The problem will be that the bend radius is too tight for LV cables.

Old 05-27-12, 09:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Jim, what if he used a larger diameter conduit, say 2" and put either a pull "L" or LB, allow all the cables to exit down and fill the exit with silicone or fire block. Still think the radius would be too much? Just thinking outloud.

Old 05-27-12, 11:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That would be better bend radius-wise but those fitting are getting rather large. I thought they were looking for something unobtrusive.

To Op, can you post a pic so we can see what you are dealing with?

Old 05-27-12, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
Coming into the back of a weatherproof box and then transitioning up, down, or sideways would look better and keep your bends to a minimum. Then just put a weatherproof blank on it.

Old 05-28-12, 08:05 AM
I actually went to Lowe's and found some 1/2" LB fittings + plastic/pvc conduit which worked perfectly. I agree, I was brutally unaware that some of those LB's are REALLY big after 1/2".

Plus the hole I had to drill was only 1 1/8" with a bore bit and it was really easy.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.