Convert a switch/recep combo to a duplex outlet

Old 05-28-12, 09:16 AM
Convert a switch/recep combo to a duplex outlet

Hi, I have a switch/recep combo outlet that was installed in my kitchen. It was supposed to be used for a garbage disposal, which we never installed. I would like to replace this outlet with a duplex outlet, which would be more beneficial to me in the kitchen. There is 2 black wires, a white wire and a ground. I have found several articles on how to install a switch recep combo to a duplex but I have had very little help on what I would like to do. Any help???
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-12, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
There is 2 black wires, a white wire and a ground.
That is a bit puzzling assuming it is cable (AKA Romex). If there are two blacks I would expect two whites. Is there really two whites wire nuted together at the back of the box?

It was supposed to be used for a garbage disposal
Was a separate receptacle installed under the kitchen sink for the garbage disposal?

Old 05-28-12, 10:39 AM
Yes there are two whites nuted together inside box. And yes there is a box under the sink. It is a closed metal box.

Old 05-28-12, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
The easiest is to determine which cable is hot using a test light or multimeter. Cap the black and white of the cable with no power. Hook the cable with power to your new receptacle. Unless the circuit is already GFCI protected you will need to use a GFCI receptacle or breaker.

Suggestion: Leave a note in the box explaining the two capped wires so the next person will understand the situation.