Moving Lebon James Hologram

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-12, 01:14 AM
Question Moving Lebon James Hologram

Hi! This will be my first post and I would like to say I love this community so far, I can see that everyone is getting their issues solved and that's really neat. I hope that my issue can be solved too, this moving hologram of Lebron James was custom made for my Dad a long time ago for him to put in his sports bar, it was about $1,500 and we don't know the makers name, he didn't have a huge business. As you can see in the videos I will attach, the mechanics of the machine is very simple but something is wrong. I will put the video here before I explain any further.

Lebron 2 - YouTube

Lebron - YouTube

So after watching this you might be a little confused, I shot the first video not really paying attention to the camera then the second video is just as much detail as I could get. I will draw a diagram later if needed, but basically it's a picture of lebron james and the bulls logo fused in one, heres how it works. If you have those blinds that open and close, they look like this
------------
------------
------------
Well, there are 'blinds' in the front. Now every line is a different picture, and every other line is the same one. For example say the letter 'a' is a picture and the letter 'b' is a picture
aaaaaaaa
bbbbbbbb
aaaaaaaa
bbbbbbbb
Now you can see how the blinds would cover up the 'a' so you can only see the 'b'. This mechanism is suppose to move up and down slightly, showing that lebron is shooting the ball. The only issue is the picture isn't being moved correctly, there are two cylinders on each end that are attached to the picture. The one at the bottom is connected to a motor, which makes it roll slightly, then a string goes across to the top cylinder to make it roll down slightly too. This moves the picture. I can't figure out why but the picture is not moving correctly, and the cylinders aren't latched in. I tried latching them in by putting nails in the holes but it just doesn't work. (in the start of the second video I show you a close up of that area, theres one on each corner) so, what should I do to fix this? I think it would just be too big of a waste not to give it a shot. I am not even sure why this was $1,500, the components just look like they were done unprofessionally.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-12, 09:23 AM
Does anyone have any help? I am confused of why its not working.

Old 06-03-12, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
In the vid on the left there appears to be a motor*. Can you give us a clear picture of the writing on it and a picture of how it is mechanically connected. Also one of the area around it.

*I'm guessing motor.
Name:  Motor.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  16.2 KB

Old 06-03-12, 09:56 AM
Name:  photo copy 2.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  29.1 KBName:  photo copy.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  34.5 KBName:  photo.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  31.4 KB

Where you can see the headphone cable was just something I was testing, there was a spring in between the two cables so I tried just making it all wire. Still no luck.

It used to go like this.
Here's a legend:
( ) = Cylinder
IIIII = Wire
000000000 = Spring

( )
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
( )

Old 06-03-12, 10:10 AM
I posted the pictures, sorry I am not sure if I should have pressed reply or not.

Old 06-03-12, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
I'm lost. Does the motor still move? Posting will be sparse because it is the weekend so you may have to hang in there while waiting for an answer.

Old 06-03-12, 11:44 AM
Yeah the motor is attatched to a metal arm that is hooked to the bottom cylinder that's what moves it. The arm moves about an inch back and forth

Old 06-03-12, 02:09 PM
Your video skills are terrible.

Replace the spring. It appears to be unsprung.

Old 06-03-12, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the string is not the correct tension or length the movement of the shutter will be off.

Old 06-11-12, 03:01 AM
Bump this thing is still not working

Old 06-11-12, 08:19 AM
Group Moderator
This is outside the realm of most members here. You probably should look for a company that makes commercial displays and see if you can find one that makes that type of display.

Old 06-14-12, 05:41 AM
bumping this and pretending to write something because the 25 character limit

Old 06-14-12, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Please do not bump. It seems pretty clear no one here can help you.

I am closing the thread.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-14-12 at 11:24 AM.
Closed Thread