Why did using my oven blow the fuse at the fuse panel?

Old 06-03-12, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why did using my oven blow the fuse at the fuse panel?

Hello,

This evening we used the oven and it almost immediately blew the fuse on the fuse panel, I was downstairs at the time and could hear arcing. However, we have been using for months without incident, and the oven continued to work anyway (well the indicator LED was still illuminated at least). After some inspection, it looks like the one end of the fuse wasn't even making contact with the one end of the base.

This is all very puzzling, would someone mind helping me troubleshoot this issue? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-12, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You oven uses a 240V circuit. Sometimes the controls only use half that circuit (one leg of the 240)...

If the fuse wasn't on that leg...then you would still have indicators...but the oven shouldn't really heat. Or it might have been running at half power...but I don't think it works that way.

Why it blew? Well...if it wasn't making good contact, it was arcing, heating up, and would probably pull more current.

Amazed you still have a fuse box......

Old 06-03-12, 05:52 PM
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
After some inspection, it looks like the one end of the fuse wasn't even making contact with the one end of the base.
Sounds like you found the problem, was the fuse the proper one for the fuseholder? Is the fuseholder damaged from the arcing? Assuming this is a fusible pullout, you may need a replacement pullout, but don't hold your breath on finding one. Your best shot at finding one is to find a contractor who keeps old ones from service changes.

Old 06-03-12, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. The fuse that blew looks to be the same size as the good one, but it does look like a slightly different style. The fusible pullout doesn't look damaged, just dirty. I'll try to just replace the blown fuse with a new one, I'll look for one that looks more like the good one and see what happens. Thanks again.

Old 06-03-12, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'll try to just replace the blown fuse with a new one, I'll look for one that looks more like the good one and see what happens.
There should be a listing on the panel label, which is often on the inside of the panel door, of which fuses your panel is designed to accept.