Converting a switched outlet to a switched ceiling fan

Old 01-19-01, 08:57 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a wall switch that controls one outlet on a dual-outlet. I want to install a ceiling fan operated by this switch. My question is, how do I change the switch wiring to function this way?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-01, 10:26 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First some assumtions...
I assume that you want all fan functions from a single switch in that if there is a light/fan conbination , both will operate together.

you run a cable wire from the fan to the outlet box that has the switched plug. At the outlet box....on one side of the plug is a white wire attached , the metal tab that joins the 2 halfs of the plug should be intact on that side, the other side should have 2 black wires with the metal tab that joins the 2 halfs broke off.

Now the white wire that is coming from the fan connect with the white wire that also connects with the plug. Now you need to know which black (which half of the plug) is coming from the switch, that wire remove from the plug and connect with the black coming from the fan. The other black wire stays at the plug. The bare wire from the fan wire , ground on the grounding screw of the outlet box. Also replace the plug, so that you have one with both joining tabs intact.

At the fan , ground the bare wire to its outlet box, and should the fan also have a ground connection or green wire , then connect the bare to it also. The rest of the wiring at the fan would depend on if it is a fan only , or fan + light, etc., generally all the whites together, the other wires would depend on if light/fan work together or separately switched. I am going under the assumption that if a light/fan then you want to work together since you are using a single switch, the wiring diagram should give info on that, but any black would go with the black power wire coming into the fan ceiling box, there could be other color wires perhaps blue or red that would also be connected to the incoming black (if switched together), check your instructions that came with the fan, that and a little logic and you should be able to figure it out.

Old 01-21-01, 11:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Correction on Switched Outlet Configuration

My appologies for the original posting error. It turns out the wall switch controls both sides of a dual-outlet, not one-side as previously thought. Not sure if this changes the solutions, but I still want to install a ceiling fan operated by this switch. I'm fine with having a single switch for both the light & fan operations.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 01-21-01, 12:53 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: Correction on Switched Outlet Configuration

You basicly have to know if the source of power for the circuit is going to the switch first and then from the switch to the outlet, or the circuit power is entering the the plug outlet box first and then the switch wires go from there. SO check the switch box, and outlet (plug) box. What wires are there , if the box where the switch is has only 2 wires (black & white) connected to the switch (bare wire grounded on box) and absolutely no other in the box anywhere, then the power must be entering the outlet (plug) box. You need the plug to be getting power allways and the light only when the switch is on.

If the power circuit wires are entering thru the plug outlet box then you need to identify the wire cable leading to the switch and the wire cable supplying power to the circuit (coming from electrical panel) . Now the wire cable (from electrical panel) white wire connect to white wire going to fan/light and the silver screw of plug. The black wire (coming from elctrical panel) connect to the white wire going to the switch, and the brass color screw of plug. The Black wire coming from the switch goes to the black wire going to fan/light. Make sure the plug has both joining tabs intact. All bare ground wires connected together and grounded to the outlet box. There could also be the possibility that an additional wire cable is there that supplies power to other plugs on the circuit, if so the black of that cable joins with the black from the electrical panel feed, and the white joins with the white from the electrical panel feed, bare wire with other bare wires and grounded to box. That is a lot of wires and outlet boxes I beleive are rated for max, number of wires depending on size/depth of box.

If the electrical supply is going to the switch first and then feeding the plug outlet box then...

Identify in the switch box which wire cable is coming the circuit suppy(going to electrical panel) and which is feeding the plug. Now the white from the circuit power feed goes to the white going to the plug, and the white going to the fan/light, the black coming from the circuit power feed connects to the black going to the plug and one connection screw of the switch. The black from the fan/light goes to the other connection screw of the switch. All bare wires together and ground to the box.