Rewiring BX without opening a wall?

Old 06-04-12, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rewiring BX without opening a wall?

Hi-
I'm currently remodeling my kitchen. The light switch in the room is currently wired with BX, and it is split there to the bathroom above. The cable enters a metal box containing the only receptacle in the bathroom, and then onto a switch and light fixture.

I will run a new circuit for the kitchen lights - but i don't know what to do with the bathroom wiring. In a perfect world, I would run new 12/2 NM into that box from the panel and connect it to a 15 amp breaker until i remodel the bathroom. But I have no idea how the bx cable is wired inside the bathroom wall. The cables are secured inside the box with a clamp or bracket that is screwed to the back of the box. Other than that - i don't know if it's stapled to the studs, etc.

Even if I can't replace that bx now, I will just run the 12/2 NM up into the wall so I can use it when I do remodel. But I still have the problem that the BX feeding the bathroom is split in the box I need to replace for the new kitchen work.

Any ideas or advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-12, 09:36 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You list your residency only as NJ. Are you sure your local jurisdiction permits NM-b?

Old 06-04-12, 09:46 AM
Are you sure your local jurisdiction permits NM-b?
I'm not, but why wouldn't it?

Old 06-04-12, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are you sure your local jurisdiction permits NM-b?
I'm not, but why wouldn't it?
A number of jurisdictions including, notably, New York City, do not. They require all wiring to be run in conduit. BX and MC qualify in those jurisdictions by having that metal sleeve, which is essentially the same as Flexible Metal Conduit.

It is a local requirement, so you'll need to check with them, or with a licensed Master who works in your jurisdiction.

Old 06-04-12, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
The power to the old circuit would just be spliced through. The new circuit would go to the switch and the new lights.

You will need to make sure the box has enough cubic inch capacity. The old box may not have clamps suitable for NM cable either.

Old 06-04-12, 05:23 PM
Unless you live in a city, I wouldn't expect NM to be a problem. NYC does allow NM to be used in certain type of structures. I forget the details of when it is ok.

I think the question here is whether or not you can leave the old BX in the wall abandoned. Someone with more knowledge should comment on that. If that is the case, you can run the new wire up into the bathroom. Remove the old box and replace it with a new one.