Electrical Question.

Old 06-05-12, 07:14 PM
Electrical Question.

Hello everyone. I bought a old popup camper and the person before me unhooked a light switch because it was bad and was blowing the fuse. I'm not sure now on how it was suppose to be hooked up. I've been looking at the wiring in the camper and this is some of the information I can provide. The main power is feed using a extension cord from a outlet into the camper. From there is the switch and a round screw in fuse. There are 2 black wires that are suppose to be hooked up to either the switch or fuse I'm not sure which one. From the main power coming in the camper would the fuse be powered first then the switch? Or the other way around. I've done electrical work before but Nothing such as this. So I guess I'm looking on information on how to rehook up the power to the camper again. I've bought a newer switch just need to know how to run the wiring properly.

Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-12, 07:46 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Common sense would say that the incoming power should go to a fuse before it goes to anything else. That said, the answer will come from learning the designated purpose of the wires, as you've realized.

This may require some testing. For starters, though, could you tell us the make and model of your popup camper? And could you show us what you're looking at? See How To Include Pictures.

Old 06-05-12, 08:03 PM
The camper is a 1968 Starcraft.

I can see that there is a romex wiring going to an outlet. On that outlet is one one side 2 white wires and the other side is 2 black wires. I can't get a clear look but it seems the 2 black wires go to where the switch and fuse box where installed. From that point I don't know how it was wired.

This is the main plug in from a power source using a extension cord into here.
[IMG][/IMG]

This is where the fuse goes into and the empty spot is where the said bad switch was. I've got one to replace it with.

[IMG][/IMG]

Back of main power plug in and fuse.
[IMG][/IMG]

Attached Images  

Last edited by mlkwi; 06-05-12 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-06-12, 01:22 PM
Power should go on a black wire (and neutral on a white wire) from the inlet to the fuse/switch location. The power should go into the fuse on the center tab in the fuse holder and out on the screw threads. It should then go through the switch and on to the receptacle. The neutral (white conductor should be spliced to continue to the receptacle or other device without contacting the fuse or switch.

I can see that there is a romex wiring going to an outlet.
There shouldn't be any Romex (Type NM-B) in a camper. It may look like Type NM-B, but NM-B cabling is only listed for use inside permanent structures.

Old 06-06-12, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
The main power is feed using a extension cord from a outlet into the camper.
Are you saying the "extension cord" is hard wired to the outlet? If it is plugged in it should be an inlet not a receptacle. I do not see an inlet in your pictures.

Old 06-06-12, 02:53 PM
The extension cord gets plugged into the very first picture. I've been messing with everything today and I think I need to replace the small fuse panel. I'm not getting any power to the outlets at all and I've tried other fuses.

Old 06-06-12, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry didn't think to go to the original picture. The one posted was too small for me to see clearly. For future reference that is not an outlet. It is an inlet.

Old 06-06-12, 05:36 PM
I think I need to replace the small fuse panel.
Er, what small fuse panel? Have we sen that? Dp you mean the SG plate with one fuse holder and one [bad] switch?

Have you determined that you're getting power to the small fuse panel?

Old 06-06-12, 08:22 PM
Didn't know the correct name for it but yes the SG panel. I got power coming in bit nothing after the panel. The switch is a new one since I was told the old one was bad. I've tested the outlets and I don't get any reading at all. At this point I'm thinking the panel is bad. Fuse is brand new and tried swapping the fuse and no luck. Unless I'm hooking the switch and panel up wrong?

Old 06-06-12, 08:57 PM
Unless I'm hooking the switch and panel up wrong?
I don't know, but you could be. So far as I know,
Power should go on a black wire (and neutral on a white wire) from the inlet to the fuse/switch location. The power should go into the fuse on the center tab in the fuse holder and out on the screw threads. It should then go through the switch and on to the receptacle. The neutral (white conductor) should be spliced to continue to the receptacle or other device without contacting the fuse or switch.
Is this how you have everything connected?

Can you get power to the receptacles by eliminating the fuse holder/switch and connecting black-to-black and white-to-white where it would be? temporarily, with a couple of wire nuts, just long enough to test?

Old 06-07-12, 07:20 AM
Didn't know the correct name for it but yes the SG panel.
That was a bit of shorthand. Sorry.

SG = Single Gang. It refers to a single gang wall box (a box made to hold a single device). In this case, I used it to refer to the device itself because it appears to me to be designed to mount the same way a standard receptacle or switch does.

Old 06-07-12, 06:00 PM
Thanks Nashkat1 I wan't aware that the wire needed to go to the holes aswell. I've got power running now and tester says it's all correct.

Old 06-07-12, 07:07 PM
I'm glad you got it solved, and thank you for coming back to let us know!

Old 06-08-12, 11:59 PM
Comong back and saying thanks and letting those who helped know I was able to fix it with help from here is the least I could do. I've got a camping trip next week and wanted it fixed so we're not knocking things over if my year and a half old son where to wake in the middle of the night.

Old 06-09-12, 07:54 AM
Glad we were able to help you. Enjoy the camping!