Generator wirings.

Old 06-05-12, 10:47 PM
Unhappy Generator wirings.

Hi!
We live on a sailing boat and have just had a brand new single phase power generator installed. It is an Australian made one rated at 7KVA. According to the manual, the unit is supplied connected M.E.N. (Main Earth Neutral) . The output is a bipôle Circuit breaker (Active and Neutral). My querry is, where do I connect my appliance earth wire onto the generator? I have the bipolar breaker for the active and neutral but no allowance or terminal for the earth. Help please!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-12, 06:10 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately this is primarily a North American forum with members from the US and Canada. Your question is a double wammy . Most members aren't familiar with Australian home wiring or marine wiring.

Old 06-06-12, 01:13 PM
Hello Ray 2047.
Thanks for the feedback man! I fully understand the situation. and am glad for the welcome. I am still staying and hoping for replies. you never know what others may know. Thanks again.

Old 06-06-12, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
Generally both in the US and overseas on the general purpose wiring circuits such as lights and receptacles you have a grounded conductor and a hot. That grounded conductor (neutral) is never interrupted by a switch or breaker. In the US our 120v (equivelent to your 220v) would use only a single pole breaker on the hot yet you are saying two pole breaker. Are you sure that is correct?