1 breaker for 2 bedrooms

Old 06-08-12, 04:21 PM
1 breaker for 2 bedrooms

Hi all, newbie here.

I am located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Living in a relatively new home that's built in 2005 and ran into the following electrically issue.

Recently I was trying to switch out a light fixture in a bedroom (call it B1). The first switch off the breaker that control B1 and a second bedroom (B2). So B1 and B2 are both on the same breaker circuit.

B1's circuit box contained the following.
1) 2 black wires (capped together)
2) 1 red wire
3) 1 white wire
4) 1 green wire

I connected the new light fixture in following order (box wire -to- light fixture wire)

1) white-to-white
2) red-to-black
3) green-to-green
4) left the 2 black wires capped together

Switched the breaker back on. B1's new light fixture works perfectly.

Problem is now with B2, the light fixture stopped working. (I haven't touch any wire in that room at that point). I thought it was the bulb, switch that to new ones, doesn't work. I switch the whole light fixture to another one that I know is working, no dice. I even switch out the light switch itself. Still doesn't work.

The wiring in B2 is very straight forward, 1 black, 1 white and ground.

For the life of me, I really couldn't figure out what went wrong (I even switch the new light fixture in B1 back to the old one and still doesn't work)

Any idea on resolving this are truly welcome before I pull all my hair out

Thanks a million!

PS. I have done many combination of words in search and couldn't find any thread relevant.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-12, 04:43 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I'm guessing that by this you mean "The box for the ceiling fixture in the first bedroom."

It sounds like these two rooms may be fed by a multi-wire branch circuit, and that you unknowingly moved a second breaker handle near the one for the first bedroom. I would check and reset those breakers.

Alternatively, you may have opened a neutral. Is there no second white wire in the first ceiling box?

The best route is to remove the fixture in the second room, separate the wires and, with the breakers and the switch for that room all on, use a multimeter to test voltage black-to-neutral and black-to-ground.

Let us know what you find, and we can help you from there.

Old 06-08-12, 09:27 PM
1) 2 black wires (capped together)
2) 1 red wire
3) 1 white wire
4) 1 green wire
I'm pretty sure that this is where the problem is. In any rational wiring system, there cannot be two black wires and only one white wire. Remove the fixture you installed in B!, find the second white wire, and splice it to both the first white wire and the white wire for the fixture. The other two connections are the same as you made before: black to red and green to green.

Old 06-08-12, 10:19 PM
OMG Nashkat1, you are correct.

I didn't notice there were actually 2 white wires in B1. As I inspected both wires, one wire was actually broken (might have broken during the cap/un-cap process). I reconnected both wire and everything is back to normal!

Thanks very much for the advise!!

Old 06-08-12, 10:25 PM
I'm glad you got it fixed, and thank you for coming back to let us know.