AFCI Pigtails.

Old 06-10-12, 12:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
AFCI Pigtails.

I have to install approximately 20 Afci's in a QO panel. The problem is, all of those neutral wires are too short. What do you guys usually do to extend them? I was thinking of splicing 4 to an 8AWG wire, in a blue wirenut, but I'm not sure if the AHJ would pass it or not. What would you guys do? Thanks once again.

Old 06-10-12, 12:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I have not tried it but I suspect combining them will not work. I would bet it will cause them to false trip. You will have to extend them using a wire-nut and the same size wire.

Old 06-10-12, 03:56 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Justin Smith
I have to install approximately 20 Afci's in a QO panel.
I'm SO glad we're still on 2002 code here and we don't have to waste that much money on those stupid things.

Old 06-10-12, 03:58 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
That place must be a mansion! Your problem is what I suspected a lot of electricans would run into with the latest codes. That, and a real mess of pigtails. Although I think your suggestion would work, I would consult the AHJ before continuing. I don't see how splicing 4 pigtails to a larger conductor would be much different than combining all the pigtails on the neutral bus, but that is just my opinion. Cutler-Hammer foresaw your problem when they developed their CH series loadcenter with the plug-on neutral bus specifically for multiple AFCI breakers, the AFCI breakers for these new loadcenters have no pigtail.

Old 06-13-12, 03:46 PM
I asked my AHJ today, and he told me he wouldn't pass it if I would run 4 pigtails to a #8. At least the service passed inspection.

Old 06-13-12, 05:33 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Do the AFCIs have stranded neutral pigtails? Some do. If stranded then I would use insulated butt connectors crimped on with sufficient lengths of white THHN stranded wire in the appropriate size. Don't use the butt connectors with solid wire.

Old 06-13-12, 06:38 PM
Do the AFCIs have stranded neutral pigtails? Some do. If stranded then I would use insulated butt connectors crimped on with sufficient lengths of white THHN stranded wire in the appropriate size. Don't use the butt connectors with solid wire.
Thanks for the suggestion, I might end up doing this. Tomorrow, I'll pick up a spool of THHN and a pack of butt splices.

Old 06-14-12, 08:30 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Tomorrow, I'll pick up a spool of THHN and a pack of butt splices.
Justin, If you don't already have one, you might want to pick up a Klein 1010 when you get your materials. I don't remember now when I first got mine, but it's become my go-to tool for a lot of work - especially for stripping and crimping butt splices and terminals, 'cause I can do all the steps with one tool and it puts the leverage where I like it.

Note: My only relationship to Klein tools is as a customer.

Old 06-14-12, 04:27 PM
Justin, If you don't already have one, you might want to pick up a Klein 1010 when you get your materials. I don't remember now when I first got mine, but it's become my go-to tool for a lot of work - especially for stripping and crimping butt splices and terminals, 'cause I can do all the steps with one tool and it puts the leverage where I like it.
I added that to my list to call in tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: