Electrical Box question

Old 06-10-12, 01:38 PM
Electrical Box question

I have looked online and in the big box stores, but I cannot figure what kind of electrical box this is. It does not have a the normal screw holes to attach the receptical or plates to. Thanks in advance!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-12, 02:07 PM
It is a quick type install box called "Cheetah" Made by leviton

You have to use Cheetah type devices

Cheetah<sup>™</sup> > Electrical Wiring Devices > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

Old 06-10-12, 02:27 PM
It appears you have a Low-voltage box with no back. Best to replace it.

Old 06-10-12, 04:23 PM
The back may have been broken out, it's hard to tell. Regardless, it would be very difficult to replace the box since it's set in masonry short of calling in a brick layer. I have seen many types of quick wiring systems, but this one is new to me. Some will be around a few years and then disappear. The problem comes in a few years when a service electrician has to replace a receptacle and finds the system is obsolete or the manufacurer can't be identified. Hopefully Leviton has thought of this and designed a way for replacements to always be available.

Old 06-10-12, 05:13 PM
It is designed so that once you install the Cheetah device, the clips with the screw holes stay in place, so you change to a standard device later on.

I don't know why contractors use these, the only time saved is screwing the device in. They are expensive so I dont really see the point to save what ? 15 seconds ?

Old 06-11-12, 01:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unfortunately this is a nail-in Cheetah low voltage/datacom box with the back broken out. Completely unacceptable for a line voltage device. I don't see any easy way of replacing it. Best I can suggest is use a dremel to cut the box into pieces, then carefully remove it with pliers. A new Carlon 'old-work' box should be approximately the same size, but you will have to carefully carve out the grout in two places for the mounting ears.

However, this looks like new installation.. What is the purpose of this box? Mantle lights? Porch light? If this is brand new work that was permitted/inspected, I would get on the phone with the code officials. Find out WHY it passed inspection, because it is a GLARING code violation. Then tell the electrical contractor to get back there and fix it, and tell him HE is responsible for paying the mason to fix the brickwork. Unless of course the electrician left the cable hanging there and the mason installed that box.. In which case it's all on the mason.

That's what I'd do.

Old 06-11-12, 06:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Once that box is removed a metal masonry box can be installed and grouted back in.

Old 06-11-12, 10:18 AM
I agree with pcboss!!! Also, based on where they placed it (The LV ring), it want be that difficult to remove. Installing a new single gang box want be hard either.