Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Had to move in home breaker panel. Main service cable not long enough

Old 06-10-12, 07:20 PM

hello,

hopefully someone can help out. we had to remove a little false wall that did nothing other then hold the breaker panel. well the breaker panel needs to move about 5 ft. only problem is the main 4 AWG line coming from the meter and main breaker outside 88' away is not too short. asking some local contractors i have got a yes and a no to my question. which is can i pigtail or splice the main service cable? maybe a split bolt connector in a junction box in the crawl space?

options are either

1. buy another string of cable. 4AWG at about 100' to be safe in the conduit.
2. extend the wires as mentioned in a junction box in crawl space.

thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-12, 07:25 PM
Buy the new cable and extend the conduit. SE wiring should never be spliced in front of the panel.

Old 06-10-12, 07:39 PM
Thats what i was afraid of. sounded like the right way to do it. so currently i have single lines. i was also told that i should use 4/4/4/6. what do you think would be the best way? and any particular type of wire to be used? thanks

Old 06-10-12, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
By relocating the panel, how are you going to also relocate the branch circuits?

the main 4 AWG line coming from the meter and main breaker outside 88' away
By this you are saying that this is a sub panel. Yes, you may splice the feeder to a sub panel.
The splice must be in a box, the box must be large enough for the wire/cable based on the conduit size, and the box is required to be accessible. I also suggest making the splice with an insulated lug such as a Polairs insulated wire connector. Skip the split bolts.

Old 06-10-12, 07:44 PM
i was also told that i should use 4/4/4/6. what do you think would be the best way? and any particular type of wire to be used?
Your existing feed is 4AWG. Three #4 and one #6 sounds right.

And yes, you can splice and extend, following the guidance TI gave you. I'd missed that this is a subpanel.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 06-10-12 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-10-12, 07:49 PM
i have a few acres here the power was setup prior to the home being built. so the meter is on my pump house which is butted up to "our main panel" where our kill everything breaker is. then i have the house breaker, the pump house breaker and the garage breaker.

so basically it is the wire from the "house breaker" in the main panel to the "in house panel, (sub panel, i guess)" that has to be moved. that is the approx. 88' wire i need to extend a few feet.

Old 06-10-12, 07:54 PM
currently the "in the house panel" is a 100 amp breaker. 4 AWG seperate runs. and a seperate 6 AWG ground. I was told that it should be bundled "all wires in same insulation". I can't even find 4/4/4/3. maybe just my big box store limitations. haha

Old 06-10-12, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
How many wires do you have going to the house panel now?

Most big box stores will carry only 2/2/2/4 URD aluminum, which is a direct burial cable. IF you have pipe it will be THHN copper.

Old 06-10-12, 08:14 PM
Thumbs up

Three #4 and one #6..

its all conduit the whole run. so i am thinking that i will get some of those connectors you suggested and extend the wires with some THHN copper as it is now. should be good. until it burns down i guess. haha thanks for the help. anything else i may be missing or should know and take into consideration please feel free to let me know. I really appreciate all the help. Thank you.

Old 06-10-12, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
I would stay with copper then. IF it is underground you could put a weatherproof box on the outside of the house, splice there and then continue the run to the new panel location.

Just a thought.

Old 06-10-12, 10:42 PM
How big is the circuit breaker on the pole that feeds the house? #4 copper THHN/THWN is only rated to a maximum of 85 amperes. Also, #8 copper is sufficient for the equipment grounding conductor on a 100 ampere feeder.

Old 06-11-12, 07:15 AM
Three #4 and one #6.
#4 copper THHN/THWN is only rated to a maximum of 85 amperes. How big is the circuit breaker [at the pump house] that feeds the house?
Buy new wire - 3 #3 and 1 #8, THWN - and extend the conduit.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 06-11-12 at 03:14 PM. Reason: to change #4 to #8 for the EGC.
Old 06-11-12, 11:24 AM
Please explain WHY you are recommending a # 4 conductor for the equipment grounding conductor.

Old 06-11-12, 11:29 AM
Side note: Some manufactures will have a cable sold with an oversized equipment grounding conductor (Note: This note is not related to furds question to Nash).

Old 06-11-12, 03:12 PM
Please explain WHY you are recommending a # 4 conductor for the equipment grounding conductor.
Sure. Because I cut-and-pasted from an earlier post, and forgot to change the size. Changed it now.

Old 06-11-12, 05:07 PM
This is just an extension on an existing long run of #4 copper conductors. Why increase the feeder to #3s?

How big is the circuit breaker on the pole that feeds the house? #4 copper THHN/THWN is only rated to a maximum of 85 amperes
I am also interested in the size of the breaker at the main disconnect that feeds the #4 conductors.

Old 06-11-12, 06:18 PM
This is just an extension on an existing long run of #4 copper conductors. Why increase the feeder to #3s?
CJ, my recommendation is for replacing the entire pull, not for adding an extension. We'll know more when we learn what the OCPD is at the beginning of the feed.

Old 06-11-12, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys. all quick and great replies. so it turns out i am not very good at guesstimating. lol. I was eye balling the wire as it had no markings. so prior to leaving for the big box store today i figured i should measure it. took an end loose and found the insulation was thinner then i thought.

so turns out I had 1/0 AWG and 2 AWG ground or 0-0-0-2. both breakers on the house power line are 1oo amps. so 100 at the main breaker panel 88' a way and 100 in the house panel.

I got some of those Polaris insulated connectors recommended earlier. (not at the big box store,lol) found a local electric supply. staff there so much more helpful then lowes and HD "master electricians". so i got the connectors and a junction box. should be set now.

you guys are awesome and I truly appreciate your help.