220V (electric stove) to 120V (gas stove) - wiring help

Old 06-16-12, 01:30 PM
220V (electric stove) to 120V (gas stove) - wiring help

I am changing from electric to a gas stove/oven.

Current 240V 40A double pole breaker 6 gauge wire (2 black and 1 bare)
Will change to 120V single pole breaker 20A.

I will install a junction box in the crawl space and pigtail 12 gauge wire onto the 6 gauge wire.

My question is - can i just use one of the black wires as the neutral and label it in the breaker box and junction box?

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-12, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
My question is - can i just use one of the black wires as the neutral and label it in the breaker box and junction box?
No, wires #6 and smaller may not be re-identified as neutral and the bare can not be used as a neutral. Just plug the stove into one of the kitchen counter receptacles or extend one of them to the stove.

Old 06-16-12, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums!Since you have access to the crawl, why not just run a circuit from your panel to the stove with 12-2 and a 20 amp breaker.

Old 06-16-12, 06:12 PM
Current 240V 40A double pole breaker 6 gauge wire (2 black and 1 bare)
Just curious, is it aluminum wire?

Old 06-17-12, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I will look at running another line. I did not think about extending the microwave line down to the stove. should be easy. I am not proficient at fishing lines through walls so I try to avoid it.

Yes, the wires are Al.

Old 06-17-12, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
If the microwave is directly above the stove it should be pretty easy if it is not an outside wall. Use a small chain or a string with a nut tied to it and drop it down the wall through the higher box. Use a keyhole saw to cut a hole the size of a remodel box and reach in and grab the string/chain. Tie a piece of cable to it and pull it up to the high box.

Old 06-17-12, 07:14 AM
Even if you could have used the old wires, the fact they are aluminum would have been a deal breaker for me. I want no aluminum wiring in my house, anywhere.

Old 06-17-12, 10:17 AM
Thanks all.

I extended the microwave line down and put in an outlet. It was an outside wall so I had to fight with the insulation but it was easy enough so this is complete

Running a new line would have been a HUGE project based on where the panel is. The Crawl space does not go below the panel since the panel is on the far side of the garage and the garage is on a slab. Wiring goes over the garage and down a wall that is shared with a bathroom. When I looked at the space I had to work in the crawl I decided to go another route.

The Al wires will stay but will not be used. I will terminate them in the crawl space and turn off the breaker. That is the only Al wire in the house.

Old 06-17-12, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
The Al wires will stay but will not be used. I will terminate them in the crawl space and turn off the breaker.
Cut them as short as possible and push them out of the breaker box.

Old 06-17-12, 10:28 AM
Why? What if I sell the house and they want an electric stove? Cutting them seems like a waste.

Old 06-17-12, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
I agree with you Itchn2go. Do not cut them off. Just leave it existing receptacle as is and just turn off the breaker. If you, or the next homeowner ever want to go back to electric it is all there. If you leave everything as is, it will be grandfathered in.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 06-17-12 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-17-12, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
Why? What if I sell the house and they want an electric stove?
Does not meet current code and is aluminum wire. You can leave it if you want. In that case leave the cable intact.