Floor Heat wiring to GFCI breaker

Old 06-18-12, 09:51 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Floor Heat wiring to GFCI breaker

I have an Easy Heat warm tiles 240 volt underfloor cable system (963 watts) with an Aube TH115 AF-240D (non GFCI) 4 wire thermostat. The floor heating cable is two wire with a braided shield. There is a two wire temperature sensor under the floor. All wires terminate in the wall at the thermostat. I would like to install a dedicated circuit for the floor heating (possibly add a towel bar heater at a later date).
1-Would a 20 amp double pole GFCI be sufficient for the load (considering that I limit the future towel bar heater to less than 10 amps) ?
2-How many conductors do I need from the panel to the t-stat?
3-Does the braided shield on the floor cable get wired to the neutral lug on the GFCI breaker? Or to ground in the panel?
4-Do I need to ground the metal single gang box the t-stat is mounted to back to the panel ground?

Old 06-18-12, 06:49 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
1-Would a 20 amp double pole GFCI be sufficient for the load (considering that I limit the future towel bar heater to less than 10 amps) ?
You probably won't be able to connect the towel bar heater to the same circuit. You can't have 120v and 240v devices on the same circuit. (and I've never seen a 240v towel bar). I think you'd be better off keeping the underfloor heating on a 15A circuit wired with 14/2 (plus ground).

2-How many conductors do I need from the panel to the t-stat?
2 plus ground

3-Does the braided shield on the floor cable get wired to the neutral lug on the GFCI breaker? Or to ground in the panel?
Ground. Definitely not neutral.

4-Do I need to ground the metal single gang box the t-stat is mounted to back to the panel ground?
Yes, by connecting it to the ground wire.

I believe the future towel heater can be connected to your 20A GFI receptacle circuit. Check the instruction manual though for the one you buy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: