Code questions.

Old 06-20-12, 01:10 PM
Code questions.

I'm starting to work on my permit applications for my renovation project. I am going to be stripping the walls down to the studs to upgrade the wiring among other things. As far as the number of outlets, the minimum is one outlet every 12' and within 6' of the corner of the room? Anything else I should know when filling this out? Any decent books that will help me abide by the codes?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-12, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
I think the code is pretty straight forward for this stuff, my advice is different (other than to add I think you need a receptacle on any wall two feet wide or wider): I tried to envision every possible thing I could think of in every room I wired and put in more receptacles than code required, as I basically would have needed one per wall and put two on most. I also over wired with phone and coax, putting two outlets for each in each room. It's never again going to be as easy as when you're down to the studs.

Old 06-20-12, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Wiring Simplified is highly recommended and only costs about $10-12. Easy to read and understand...but if you run in to any weird situations...you should ask here.

PS...I agree with Mitch....overkill is pretty cheap when you think about it. Needing to change something after everything is closed up is a PITA.

If I were building new I would put an outlet about every 6 ft on long walls and data/cable boxes on at least 2 walls (depending on design). When my Dad (who was much smarter than me) built a garage back in the 70's...he put outlets every other stud...but he used 2 alternating circuits so he could have 2 tools right beside each other without tripping anything.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 06-20-12 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 01:34 PM
Wiring Simplified may also be available as a download. The print version is Wiring Simplified 43rd edition. It's usually available in the big box stores, often in the electrical aisle.

Old 06-20-12, 02:12 PM
I also over wired with phone and coax, putting two outlets for each in each room. It's never again going to be as easy as when you're down to the studs.
I have those plans as well. I'm actually going to run conduit from the attic space down to the wall plate so I can upgrade in the future. I'm going to run ethernet, phone, and coax.

Old 06-20-12, 02:16 PM
I suppose I need to use those metal nail plates. How far away from the face of the stud will wiring have to be to avoid that?

Old 06-20-12, 02:39 PM
Group Moderator
I punched holes in the middle of the studs and didn't worry about it - you typically run wire and cable at 20" above the floor and then know not to put any screws or nails in at that level.

Old 06-20-12, 02:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need to be at least 1 1/4" back from the nailing face to avoid nail plates.

The 6/12 rule is not within 6' of a corner, but within 6' of entering the room, both to the left and right of a door. The fixed panel in a slider counts as wall space. As Mitch said, any wall 2' or greater also needs a receptacle.

Old 06-20-12, 04:25 PM
I suppose I need to use those metal nail plates. How far away from the face of the stud will wiring have to be to avoid that?
That's for horizontal runs. Drilling through the studs in the center of each will give you the needed depth to avoid using nail plates.

Old 06-20-12, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure I have 2x4. They may be 2x3. We shall find out.

Old 06-20-12, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
I assumed 2x4; 2x3 would be a different story.

Old 06-20-12, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
In a smaller room, like a bedroom, I like to place the receptacles closer to the corners of the room rather then in the middle of the wall. That way they will not get covered up by a bed or dresser.