change wall socket to switch for garbage disposal

Old 06-25-12, 10:53 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
change wall socket to switch for garbage disposal

Hi

I want to put in a garbage disposal under the sink and first, I need a wall switch to turn on and cut off power to the unit.

About 16" from the sink there are 2 separate double power sockets a few inches away from each other. I only use one of them that plugs in my toaster and my coffee maker. Seems like the easiest thing to do is to convert the one I don"t use to a wall switch for the disposal. How exactly do I go about doing that? And, I wouldn't think there would/could be any issues with the other power socket being next to it as far as functionality? When I flip the switch for the disposal, the other power sockets on that wall a few inches away should work fine - right? They would be wired individually and not chained together I would think..? Can anyone help me figure this process out? I would think it should be fairly simple. What other electrical wiring supplies other that the wall switch will I need that may not come with the disposal to run the wire to the disposal unit... which will be about 3 1/2 feet away or so under the sink.

Don't want to get electrocuted. LOL.
Step one - turn off power at the panel..

Thanks..
Attachment 1380

Attached Images  

Last edited by barbie7034; 06-25-12 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-25-12, 11:11 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I want to put in a garbage disposal under the sink and first, I need a wall switch to turn on and cut off power to the unit.
You will also need a new 15A circuit from the panel. The small appliance circuits that supply the receptacles above your counter are dedicated circuits. No other load may be added to one of those. In addition, a garbage requires a dedicated circuit. I would put the switch in a newly-installed old-work box, no closer than the existing receptacle that is 16" away.

For more information, pick up a copy of Wiring Simplified.

Old 06-25-12, 01:57 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
many thanks.. time to definitely call an electrician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: