UPS trips when AC comsumes voltage

Old 06-24-12, 02:59 AM
UPS trips when AC comsumes voltage

hi, my room consists of a 1.5 ton AC , a computer(with monitor not the lcd or led one), a fan , a cfl 20w.
Now this whole room gets electricity which pases from a 25amp mcb.
Problem is when electricity fluctuates. My UPS resets as its battery is weak it leads to the restarting of the system.
What should i do. will replacing the battery work or should i check my wiring.

AC is connected through a voltage stabilizer
So do this room.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-12, 06:07 AM
If I am understanding correctly, when you run your AC, the UPS software shuts down your computer because the battery power is low and will run out soon. Is this correct?

If that is the case, your UPS is probably switching to battery power because the voltage supplying your computer is too low. It sounds like your AC is causing the low voltage condition. If the AC is on the same circuit as your computer, you should move it to another circuit. If it is on a different circuit, then the power supply to your home is most likely inadequate. If your UPS software does not tell you what voltage is available, you should use a voltage meter to check it yourself. This will help you determine what the cause is. You should also measure other circuits in the home to see if their voltage is low as well.

Old 06-24-12, 10:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Droo, not sure what type power set up they have in New Delhi, Kansas.

Old 06-24-12, 04:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Typically when a large load starts up (like an AC), the surge current the motor requires causes a voltage drop. The UPS is likely sensing this voltage drop and is kicking over to battery power to protect your equipment. Then, since the battery is not providing enough power for the UPS inverter, it just shuts off for that second or two... enough for the computer to shut down or reboot.

So the UPS sounds like it's doing what it's supposed to, just without a battery to actually make it work.

In the US/Canada, it's typical for the AC to be on a different circuit breaker and different set of wires which would reduce the voltage drop seen by the UPS/computer. It doesn't solve the problem completely, but usually helps significantly.

Hope this helps

-Mike

Old 06-24-12, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Droo, not sure what type power set up they have in New Delhi, Kansas.
There's a Delhi in KS.. No New Delhi..

Old 06-24-12, 06:13 PM
Now I'm really confused. I could have sworn the location said non-us when I replied.

Old 06-24-12, 06:46 PM
Now I'm really confused. I could have sworn the location said non-us when I replied.
Nope, I checked that right away. Profile says New Delhi, Kansas; County of India.

Old 06-25-12, 04:10 AM
The battery is bad and should be replaced.

Doesn't matter where the poster is from.

Old 06-25-12, 05:03 AM
If his voltage runs through a voltage stabilizer, the battery should have nothing to do with the operation of the computer, etc. Only when the power fails should the battery come into play. Yep, replacing the battery would be the first thing to do. I wasn't "profiling", just making sure we all knew it wasn't 120v 60 Hz clean electricity we were dealing with.

Old 06-25-12, 10:34 AM
@ Zorfdt
i agree with you . You got the problem i feel the battery replacement will help in my case.
and I am from India New delhi
here the voltage fluctuates between 150v to 240v...in summer
and in normal season it stays at 240v.

thank you everyone..

I am new here and thank you all for you replies.